Problem solved, it seems.
I booted Knoppix with "knoppix xmodule=vesa" and it worked. Maybe the trident X server is messed up?
I can boot Knoppix, and it will detect my onboard graphics card as a Cyberblade/i1 and start Xfree86 (trident) server. The display is fine until X starts, at which point my monitor shows multiple, distorted images, like the screen is wrapped around a clear cylinder. Has anyone successfully used X on a Mini-ITX 800, and if not can anyone take a stab at what the problem is here.
(The same thing occurs with College Linux, the terminal works but I can't use X)
Thanks.
Problem solved, it seems.
I booted Knoppix with "knoppix xmodule=vesa" and it worked. Maybe the trident X server is messed up?

Vintage Computer Peripherals Inc. Ramsack III ISA Memory Expansion 16bit 8 SIMM
$85.00
Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS
$228.19
vintage Gateway motherboard, socket 370 1ghz cpu, 256mb ram, cables, power switc
$69.99
Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99
Compaq 242506-001 Netelligent 100 FDDI DAS Fiber SC PCI Network Adapter Vintage
$249.00
Vintage Retro Rare New Old Stock Clean SEAGATE ST-238R Hard drive MFM PC XT AT
$129.95
Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95
Abacus Software Vintage Commodore 64 Book Lot 3: Printer, Sci & Eng, ML
$100.00
Vintage Personal Accounting & Essential Office 2 CD-ROM PAK For Windows 3.0
$114.00
Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00
$199.99