You find the settings in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, and Knoppix does a very good job on it!
Pewe
I hear great things about Knoppix and its ability to support hardware. I'm wondering if it writes the hardware settings (mainly interested in Vid card and monitor settings) to /etc/X11/XF86Config file?? Does it store the values somewhere else?
What I'd like to do is, if Knoppix detects my hardware and X looks good, save those settings to use with other Linux Distros.
Can someone please let me know.
Thanks!!!!
You find the settings in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, and Knoppix does a very good job on it!
Pewe
Oh...very cool!! I'm downloading and burning this puppy today!!!
Luckily we have a T1 here at work so it won't take all day to grab it!
Thanks again!
I found this file, but also the following:
XF86Config
XF86Config.in
XF86Config-4.in
Can someone fill me in on how to modify the X configuration in a fairly standard way? During a floppy config, that is.
What I want to do is add a font server to the list of fonts in the XF86Config file.
AFAIK, /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 is the file you will have to change. If you want to modify it when booting from cd-rom, you may do it like this:
Start knoppix
once in X, type ctrl/alt/F2 (gives you a text console), then type
init 2
This shuts down X.
cd /etc/X11
joe XF86Config-4
or vi or mc to edit the config file to your liking.
init 5
Starts X again, now using your modified XF86Config.
The file sits on a ram disk, so it will be lost next time you restart the system.
Pewe

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99
Glyph StudioRAID 28TB External RAID Hard Drive Thunderbolt 2 USB 3.0 7200RPM
$300.00
Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69
Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00
OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99
WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99
Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95
Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00
Intel® Integrated RAID Mezzanine Module RMS3HC080 SAS/SATA H24093-204
$24.97
Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile
$18.49