You find the settings in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, and Knoppix does a very good job on it!
Pewe
I hear great things about Knoppix and its ability to support hardware. I'm wondering if it writes the hardware settings (mainly interested in Vid card and monitor settings) to /etc/X11/XF86Config file?? Does it store the values somewhere else?
What I'd like to do is, if Knoppix detects my hardware and X looks good, save those settings to use with other Linux Distros.
Can someone please let me know.
Thanks!!!!
You find the settings in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, and Knoppix does a very good job on it!
Pewe
Oh...very cool!! I'm downloading and burning this puppy today!!!
Luckily we have a T1 here at work so it won't take all day to grab it!
Thanks again!
I found this file, but also the following:
XF86Config
XF86Config.in
XF86Config-4.in
Can someone fill me in on how to modify the X configuration in a fairly standard way? During a floppy config, that is.
What I want to do is add a font server to the list of fonts in the XF86Config file.
AFAIK, /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 is the file you will have to change. If you want to modify it when booting from cd-rom, you may do it like this:
Start knoppix
once in X, type ctrl/alt/F2 (gives you a text console), then type
init 2
This shuts down X.
cd /etc/X11
joe XF86Config-4
or vi or mc to edit the config file to your liking.
init 5
Starts X again, now using your modified XF86Config.
The file sits on a ram disk, so it will be lost next time you restart the system.
Pewe

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99
128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00
32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold
$121.00
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99
32GB Micron PC4 – 3200AA DDR4 ECC Registered Server RAM - MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2J3
$200.00
$400.00
Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00
64 (32x2 GB) Memory for laptop Samsung PC4 2Rx8 2666V.
$260.00
64 GB Ram (32x2) Memory for laptop: Samsung PC4 2Rx8 2666V.
$280.00