-
Senior Member
registered user
Markus, thanks for the information, first of all.
Pardon if I sound like a noobe on the subject, I am just frustrated about the HD Install issues.
I am running around using the Root - which I have heard is a serious NO NO in Linux/Unix. AND, I am trying to get all my dev's that I used to have in the Live CD, and don't have in the HD Install, running. At least I finally gotten the WinModem to get to the outside world, with a lot of help.
My question, correct me if I am wrong, but permissions would lock a user for using the dev correct? My user "Cuddles" can get to the modem, can dial out, and can even Ping the www.knoppix.net site, it just can't dig www.knoppix.net site, nor can any browser get to a www.[anything] site.
Am I wrong in this thinking, but, it doesn't sound like users can't get to the ttys# devices, they can dial, they can connect, they can ping with the dial out connection, they just can't - lets see if I can use the right term - they can't resolve a "www.knoppix.net" querry into the needed IP address [?] - Is that it?
If you want, I can look at the permissions on the seriel com dev's - but what do I set them to? [newbie here] What should they be? What shouldn't they be? I am learning, slowly, so to check the permissions I do the following, right? ls -l /dev/ttys# ----- right? And if they are wrong, how do I set them? chmod /dev/ttys# [what number]
Thanks for the help, but, I am learning a little here, and trying to help on my side as much as I can. I want to get away from using my Root for access to the outside world, and start using the personallized users that are created for such a thing.
Cuddles
Similar Threads
-
By spacedude89 in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 02-11-2005, 09:51 AM
-
By Drezliok in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 5
Last Post: 04-01-2004, 11:04 PM
-
By Cuddles in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-25-2003, 03:27 PM
-
By zuzo in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 12-21-2003, 05:19 PM
-
By /Knoppix/Knewbie/ in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-15-2003, 10:28 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s
$78.00

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00

HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive HDD HUS724030ALA640
$39.99

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99