Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Apt-Get - noobie - help

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338

    Apt-Get - noobie - help

    First, I know of the Apt-get FAQ, and have read it, all through it, and still, as a fledgling in the Linux World, have a question...

    Being new to this apt-get and KNOWING that thousands of programs exist out their, how do you find them?

    e.g. I want to find Screen Savers? All that comes with Knoppix, even after a HD Install, is RANDOM, and BLANK SCREEN - Now Random would be nice, if only it had more to choose from than itself and a Blank Screen. Blank Screen is nice, but, I come from the world of Windoze, and your personality is strongly based on the kind of SCREEN SAVER you have running...

    How does one FIND something to apt-get? I usually post here, and someone says: "just apt-get xxxxxxx" -=- Which is all well and good, but, not at all self sufficient. Rickenbachurus [sp] not making bad blood here, but, when you have millions of "packages", software, programs, utilities, games, etc... to choose from, how does one find something. I've tried google, and i've tried FreshMeat, but, I easily got overwhelmed with screens and screens of programs that seemed to not have anything to do with the querry I asked for. "screen savers" "linux" "download" - and I got windows, unix, PC, laptop, servers, etc... and games, arcade, gameboy, etc... Of the more than 1900 entries, I found only one "screen saver", and it was lame. Even if I did find a screen saver, how does that translate to apt-get ????

    A simple GUI to view what IS out their to apt-get ??? That would be nice, even a text file to view, so you can SEE and decide what you want, then apt-get it....

    Thanks for any input...
    Cuddles

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    41
    Under www.rpmseek.com You can seek for .deb packages, too.

    The name of the the screen saver package for KDE is kscreensaver.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Thank you

    I have bookmarked the site for future reference

    I like the site, its just what the doctor ordered, thanks...

    And thanks for the extra help, I'm gonna look at the package, and probably apt-get it...

    Mucho,
    Cuddles

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    hmmmmm,

    apt-get install kscreensaver -=- died with broken package error. Something about, I asked for a single file, and it requires something else, possibly if I am using an unstable, that this needs to be moved to Incoming, etc...

    Oh well, I'll look on the web site you pointed me too, I'll find something

    Thanks again,
    Cuddles

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Ok, this is getting fun - I wish I knew what/where/how to deal with this stuff...

    I tried to go to the site mentioned, found "something" and when I thought I wanted it, was dealing with a d/l named something.#.#.#.#.#-##.XXX.$$$ etc... choices of "something"

    Decided to fall back on my old thought... Went into KPackage...

    Scrolled through the listing with the "NEW" tab, found some neat programs that had a big "N" in front of them, assuming "U" means update. Marked them so that next to the programs had a nice green check mark, then clicked on the Install Marked - the window that popped up had the programs/packages/whatever showing on the left panel - when I clicked on Install - it failed saying the EXE or something could not be found - or something like that..............

    What I want:
    Something Simple - Something that when you know what you want - you can translate it into apt-get - and get it. Enough of the apt-get errors at the end - I tried to apt-get install kdetoys - it took more than an hour, and last line says "Errors were encountered while processing: "something" " - "E: Sub-process /////etc... returned an error code (1)" and dropped me back to the root prompt.

    What I can deal with:
    Find a program - translate that to something simple and easy like "apt-get install xxxxxxx" - and it to work. It appears that KPackage doesn't do it, apt-get doesn't do it, dpkg was the puppy that returned the error code above, so, I think dpkg can't do it.... What works here???

    Someone? Answers? Thanks,
    Cuddles

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Hello, 2 common gui front-ends to the debian package system are synaptic and of course kpackage under KDE. I don't know them much, and am not under linux here. But what works pretty well for me is "apt-cache search xxx". This returns a list of packages whose description contains xxx (eg "screensaver"). You can then "apt-get install" said package. As usual with knoppix, you may need to try both the unstable and testing package pool (-t unstable|testing). Also, don't forget to refresh your package list before searching it (apt-get update). And you might like to visit www.apt-get.org in order to find some more exotic, non-official packages and their online repositories.

    Sorry if this doesn't sound ideal, I am more of a CLI-kind-of-guy, as you can tell.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    BaldYeti,

    PERFECT ! Thank you.

    I used the apt-get update -/- apt-cache search -/- apt-get method

    Worked like a dream, I can't tell you how much you saved my sanity

    Thanks again :P
    Cuddles

Similar Threads

  1. ADSL Modem drivers - Noobie
    By whablow in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-06-2004, 12:22 PM
  2. Noobie Install Question
    By binarybum in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-07-2003, 05:17 AM
  3. QTParted for Install- Total Noobie
    By binarybum in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-15-2003, 05:54 AM
  4. noobie question
    By neo in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-07-2003, 07:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set picture

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set

$58.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99



Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US picture

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US

$41.30