http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=224567 you could try to track down the patch mentioned in the last report I did a quick search but cannot seem to find it.Originally Posted by Max
Lately whenever I use Synaptic Package Manager to install anything I
usually get this feedback:
I seem to have some kind of kdm problem. I wonder what this is & whatCode:Selecting previously deselected package kdebase. (Reading database ... 127539 files and directories currently installed.) Unpacking kdebase (from .../kdebase_4%3a3.1.4-1_all.deb) ... Setting up kdm (3.1.4-1) ... dpkg: error processing kdm (--configure): subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 30 Setting up kdebase (3.1.4-1) ... Update failed - Scroll in this buffer to see what went wrong
I can do about it.
Max
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=224567 you could try to track down the patch mentioned in the last report I did a quick search but cannot seem to find it.Originally Posted by Max
Thanks for your reply. If this is the answer I don't understand it:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=224574
Max
Easy enough now that I have seen the patch open a console window (clam shell Icon on the task bar) then su then enter key type in the root password and enter again you are now root. Now gvim /var/lib/dpkg/info/kdm.config to open the file needed for editing and go down to line 50 and add the || true to the end of the line seperated by a space from the last word and do the same on line 51 and save the file. Now apt-get install --reinstall kdm and it should reinstall with no problems at least it did here. I did get a warning "head: -1: invalid number of lines" but I think that is because I changed the file. The "||" in the || true are two pipe characters they are located on my keyboard above the "\" backslash key so use SHIFT+\ and you get the character.Originally Posted by Max
That seems to have fixed it. There was some kind of a problem withOriginally Posted by Stephen
installed packages not showing up on the Kmenu but now it looks like
they are all there & after the last upgrade instead of:
Synaptic Package Manager said:Code:Update failed - Scroll in this buffer to see what went wrong
Thank you very much. Now I just wish I knew what this meant:Code:Update finished - You can close the window now
MaxCode:Debian Configuration Configuring mdadm WARNING! Zero the superblock if you reuse hard disks. WARNING! If you are using hard disks which have a md superblock from an earlier installation, you MUST zero the superblock before activating the autostart feature, Answer 'No' to the next question and zero the superblock (mdadm --zero- superblock /dev/xxx), You can then use 'dpkg-reconfigure mdadm' to activate the autostart feature.
That is the RAID tool mdadm asking you a question it looks like it is not going to autostart but you should remove the package mdadm with either apt-get remove --purge mdadm or synaptic if you are not using a RAID on the system.Originally Posted by Max
Removed mdadm with Synaptic. Thanks for all your help.
Max

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73
Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47
1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99
Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11
$325.10
1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 Storage Backup for PC Mac Laptop
$29.99