Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Update Failed - KDM Problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    18

    Update Failed - KDM Problem

    Lately whenever I use Synaptic Package Manager to install anything I
    usually get this feedback:

    Code:
    Selecting previously deselected package kdebase.
    (Reading database ... 127539 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking kdebase (from .../kdebase_4%3a3.1.4-1_all.deb) ...
    Setting up kdm (3.1.4-1) ...
    dpkg: error processing kdm (--configure):
     subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 30
    Setting up kdebase (3.1.4-1) ...
    
    Update failed - Scroll in this buffer to see what went wrong
    I seem to have some kind of kdm problem. I wonder what this is & what
    I can do about it.
    Max

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Update Failed - KDM Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Max
    Lately whenever I use Synaptic Package Manager to install anything I
    usually get this feedback:

    Code:
    Selecting previously deselected package kdebase.
    (Reading database ... 127539 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking kdebase (from .../kdebase_4%3a3.1.4-1_all.deb) ...
    Setting up kdm (3.1.4-1) ...
    dpkg: error processing kdm (--configure):
     subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 30
    Setting up kdebase (3.1.4-1) ...
    
    Update failed - Scroll in this buffer to see what went wrong
    I seem to have some kind of kdm problem. I wonder what this is & what
    I can do about it.
    Max
    http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=224567 you could try to track down the patch mentioned in the last report I did a quick search but cannot seem to find it.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    18
    Thanks for your reply. If this is the answer I don't understand it:
    http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=224574
    Max

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Max
    Thanks for your reply. If this is the answer I don't understand it:
    http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=224574
    Max
    Easy enough now that I have seen the patch open a console window (clam shell Icon on the task bar) then su then enter key type in the root password and enter again you are now root. Now gvim /var/lib/dpkg/info/kdm.config to open the file needed for editing and go down to line 50 and add the || true to the end of the line seperated by a space from the last word and do the same on line 51 and save the file. Now apt-get install --reinstall kdm and it should reinstall with no problems at least it did here. I did get a warning "head: -1: invalid number of lines" but I think that is because I changed the file. The "||" in the || true are two pipe characters they are located on my keyboard above the "\" backslash key so use SHIFT+\ and you get the character.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Quote Originally Posted by Max
    Thanks for your reply. If this is the answer I don't understand it:
    http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=224574
    Max
    Easy enough now that I have seen the patch open a console window (clam shell Icon on the task bar) then su then enter key type in the root password and enter again you are now root. Now gvim /var/lib/dpkg/info/kdm.config to open the file needed for editing and go down to line 50 and add the || true to the end of the line seperated by a space from the last word and do the same on line 51 and save the file. Now apt-get install --reinstall kdm and it should reinstall with no problems at least it did here. I did get a warning "head: -1: invalid number of lines" but I think that is because I changed the file. The "||" in the || true are two pipe characters they are located on my keyboard above the "\" backslash key so use SHIFT+\ and you get the character.
    That seems to have fixed it. There was some kind of a problem with
    installed packages not showing up on the Kmenu but now it looks like
    they are all there & after the last upgrade instead of:
    Code:
    Update failed - Scroll in this buffer to see what went wrong
    Synaptic Package Manager said:
    Code:
    Update finished - You can close the window now
    Thank you very much. Now I just wish I knew what this meant:
    Code:
    Debian Configuration
    
    Configuring mdadm
    
    WARNING! Zero the superblock if you reuse hard disks.
    
    WARNING! If you are using hard disks which have a md superblock from
    an earlier installation, you MUST zero the superblock before
    activating the autostart feature, Answer 'No' to the next question
    and zero the superblock (mdadm --zero- superblock /dev/xxx), You can
    then use 'dpkg-reconfigure mdadm' to activate the autostart feature.
    Max

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Max
    That seems to have fixed it. There was some kind of a problem with
    installed packages not showing up on the Kmenu but now it looks like
    they are all there & after the last upgrade instead of:
    Code:
    Update failed - Scroll in this buffer to see what went wrong
    Synaptic Package Manager said:
    Code:
    Update finished - You can close the window now
    Thank you very much. Now I just wish I knew what this meant:
    Code:
    Debian Configuration
    
    Configuring mdadm
    
    WARNING! Zero the superblock if you reuse hard disks.
    
    WARNING! If you are using hard disks which have a md superblock from
    an earlier installation, you MUST zero the superblock before
    activating the autostart feature, Answer 'No' to the next question
    and zero the superblock (mdadm --zero- superblock /dev/xxx), You can
    then use 'dpkg-reconfigure mdadm' to activate the autostart feature.
    Max
    That is the RAID tool mdadm asking you a question it looks like it is not going to autostart but you should remove the package mdadm with either apt-get remove --purge mdadm or synaptic if you are not using a RAID on the system.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    18
    Removed mdadm with Synaptic. Thanks for all your help.
    Max

Similar Threads

  1. Problem after Nvidia update...
    By humi001 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-10-2005, 12:36 PM
  2. problem of update the Knoppix 3.3 Kernel to 2.6.5
    By lmsaga in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-25-2004, 12:29 PM
  3. apt-get update problem...
    By AP in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-07-2004, 05:50 AM
  4. apt- get update problem
    By -LoZt- in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-20-2003, 04:23 PM
  5. Problem with sound, failed emu10k1
    By Ridgeburner in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-25-2003, 08:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested

$149.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5

HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive HDD HUS724030ALA640

$39.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99