Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Crazy booting

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    23

    Crazy booting

    This is related to a posting in Hdd Install "3.3 boot stops and locks"

    I can't get a clean boot using KNOPPIX's LILO. Sometimes the bootup
    stops and locks as described above and sometimes it requires me to type in:

    # mount -n -o remount,rw /

    then follow up with

    # startx

    the login appears and KNOPPIX works. One thing I see that doesn't seem to be right is the text prompt is not what I chose during installation.
    The prompt is sh-2.05b # instead of the knoppix # that I chose.
    Additionally, the prompt doesn't 'grow' when I do cd commands.

    The LILO boot floppy that was made during KNOPPIX installation consistently locks up boot. The same is true with a boot floppy that I made with # mkboot vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs

    I also have a GRUB floppy configured for KNOPPIX 3.3 in the same
    way as KNOPPIX 3.2 . KNOPPX 3.2 boots up cleanly but 3.3 doesn't

    However, when I use a Progeny Debian Installation disk as a booter and use the 'boot option with the command "linux noinitrd root=/dev/hda8, KNOPPIX boots up consistently and the boot prompt is the one I set during installation and it does 'grow' when the cd command is used.. The bootup is smooth and I don't have to make any entries. KNOPPIX appears to work the way I think it should except there seems to be a need to do some kernel work, for example, the file system vfat isn't recognized.

    KNOPPIX 3.3-2003-11-19 has been a trying experience. I am by no means a Linux expert but I've never had a problem with any of the five
    other Linux systems currently on my HD. Very aggravating!

    In summary, it seems that the problems I've been having with 3.3 are somehow related to the method of booting. 3.3 is the only system that uses LILO---the others run off GRUB.

    Comments, suggestions, anyone ???

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    23
    The problem was solved by rickenbacherus in the HDD install section. He suggested editing the DMA in /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh. I commented out the two commands under #enable DMA
    and now KNOPPIX 3.3 boots properly.

    Nice work rickenbacherus---thank you.

Similar Threads

  1. Ok, this is just crazy!!! I gotta know!
    By Budman21901 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-03-2005, 09:33 AM
  2. minirt24 drove me crazy :-(
    By jackiechen858 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 11:13 PM
  3. crazy error! HELP!
    By bob58 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 06:07 PM
  4. crazy colors
    By greema in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2004, 03:00 AM
  5. alsa drives me crazy!!
    By twh in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-27-2004, 07:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly picture

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly

$18.95



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



Atari Home Computer Software/Books/Manuals/Magazines Lot - Read desc for details picture

Atari Home Computer Software/Books/Manuals/Magazines Lot - Read desc for details

$95.00



Atari 1050 External Floppy Disk Drive Vintage Computer With Original Box As Is picture

Atari 1050 External Floppy Disk Drive Vintage Computer With Original Box As Is

$124.94



A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS picture

A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS

$16.95



Atari Antic Cd sound creator,Antic miniature golf,antic tournament checkers,more picture

Atari Antic Cd sound creator,Antic miniature golf,antic tournament checkers,more

$54.99



Atari 410 Program Recorder repair w manual sheet/ adapter cord  picture

Atari 410 Program Recorder repair w manual sheet/ adapter cord

$23.99



Atari 800 Home Computer 48K RAM In Original Box w/ Styro RF Switch Extra Games picture

Atari 800 Home Computer 48K RAM In Original Box w/ Styro RF Switch Extra Games

$349.30



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29