Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: 2.6 Kernel. Yay or nay?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4

    2.6 Kernel. Yay or nay?

    Hi,

    When can we expect to see the 2.6 kernel appearing in knoppix?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1

    Wondering too

    Yeah, i'm wondering too. It would be great to know an estimated deadline for the new release.

    I am checking the website almost daily to see whether a new version has been releasted or not

    /Jemt

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1
    "If you want to see a 2.6 based KNOPPIX like distribution,
    you could try KnoppixMAME:
    * http://freshmeat.net/releases/108911/

    David GLAUDE "

    (copy&paste from debian-knoppix-mailinglist)

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    10
    I think I heard somewhere that It's going to be released in the version 3.4.

    Is the 2.6 kernel really faster and better? I heard a lot of positive and ,as well, negative comments about it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by paulius
    I think I heard somewhere that It's going to be released in the version 3.4.

    Is the 2.6 kernel really faster and better? I heard a lot of positive and ,as well, negative comments about it.
    it is faster (at least, it feels so). and has ALSA build-in. and is easier to compile. better hardware detection. and I dont really think 2.6.3+ is much more unstable than 2.4.20+

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Superstoned
    it is faster (at least, it feels so). and has ALSA build-in. and is easier to compile. better hardware detection. and I dont really think 2.6.3+ is much more unstable than 2.4.20+
    I've been using 2.6.3 on my home server on a livecd I made. I am VERY satisfied with it. While my dinky server with just 1 or 2 users is by no means a valid test of speed I have to say it FEELS faster. IMAP mail pops up faster, Samba shares map faster, the login from Win clients is faster and it seems that moving files through Samba is faster. Browsing the web through it's Squid proxy is definatly faster.

    I've heard that for something to genuinly FEEL faster it has to be at least an actual 30-40% increase - this barring the human tendancy to "hope" it's faster and "thinking" it's faster.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    sounds not un-logical, and it whould be impressive...

    although this must be only "feel" for sure, we have to thank the new scheduler for that, I think.

    (scheduler? yep... New in 2.6: an "automagically" piece of code which tries to enhance the way priorities work by trying to find out what processes the kernel runs are "critical", and require immediate attention, and which processes are just "resource hogs" and deserve a lower priority. this way the User Interface (mouse, for example) gets a higher priority, so it feels snappier, and your mp3player also skips less. But for example the program you where compiling, or the mp3 you where encoding (resource hogs!) recieve a lower priority, so they dont slow down the system too much.

    of course, also alot other improvements have been made, like the In/Out scheduling, network behaviour etc.)

Similar Threads

  1. kernel-source or kernel-tree
    By echo6 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-08-2005, 11:42 AM
  2. How do I install kernel source and config/compile kernel??
    By cfish in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2005, 07:31 AM
  3. Errors and kernel panic during boot (2.6 Kernel)
    By gitarzysta in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-03-2004, 08:36 PM
  4. Kernel Source 2.4.23-xfs and Kernel install for wlan-ng
    By Nils_ in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2004, 10:50 AM
  5. Modified kernel results in Kernel Panic - No init found.
    By tji in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-12-2003, 06:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.30



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



Dell 7H4CN07H4CN 2GB 12 Gbps Mono Raid Controller picture

Dell 7H4CN07H4CN 2GB 12 Gbps Mono Raid Controller

$40.00



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US picture

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US

$29.88



OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives

$149.95



Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA  HDD picture

Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA HDD

$14.99



Dell PowerVault MD3000i AMP01 Storage Array 4x Cad 2x PSUs No HDDs/Controllers picture

Dell PowerVault MD3000i AMP01 Storage Array 4x Cad 2x PSUs No HDDs/Controllers

$164.95



KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health picture

KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health

$360.00