Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Knoppix-Fonts Question.

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    24

    Knoppix-Fonts Question.

    When I load Knoppix fonts are very, very poor for ONLY the following programs:
    1. Newsreader
    2. X-Chat
    3. Mozilla Browser (Konqueror is OK)

    I can't even read anything to change them. Also trid Ctrl Alt + to change to different resolutions, this didn't help either.

    I also use Vector Linux, the X-Chat is perfect in that.

    Please Assist.

    Thanks.

    Vijay

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Knoppix-Fonts Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by rvijay
    When I load Knoppix fonts are very, very poor for ONLY the following programs:
    1. Newsreader
    2. X-Chat
    3. Mozilla Browser (Konqueror is OK)

    I can't even read anything to change them. Also trid Ctrl Alt + to change to different resolutions, this didn't help either.

    I also use Vector Linux, the X-Chat is perfect in that.

    Please Assist.

    Thanks.

    Vijay
    There are a few things that you can check look in the file /etc/kde3/kdm/Xservers and see if it is set for -dpi 75 if it is then change it to -dpi 100 you then have to restart kdm with /etc/init.d/kdm restart this best done from the console. You can also check in your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and make sure that the type1 FontPath is at the bottom of the list and that the 100 and 75 lines have the :unscaled on the end of the line:
    Code:
    FontPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
    If the fonts are too small more the 100dpi above the 75dpi line you have to restart the xserver for this to take effect. And make sure that the font paths that are in the XF86Config-4 are also in the file /etc/X11/XftConfig before restarting the xserver in the dir lines:
    Code:
    dir "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
    dir "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/CID"
    dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType"
    dir "/usr/share/fonts/truetype"
    dir "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-bitstream-vera"
    dir "/usr/share/fonts/ttf/decoratives"
    dir "/usr/share/fonts/ttf/western"
    dir "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/xfree86-nonfree"
    dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    24

    Re: Knoppix-Fonts Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    If the fonts are too small more the 100dpi above the 75dpi line you have to restart the xserver for this to take effect.
    How can I go back to the command prompt and then restart the X-Server ? Please assist. Thanks.

    Vijay

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Knoppix-Fonts Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by rvijay
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    If the fonts are too small more the 100dpi above the 75dpi line you have to restart the xserver for this to take effect.
    How can I go back to the command prompt and then restart the X-Server ? Please assist. Thanks.

    Vijay
    When you restart kdm from the command line it will restart the xserver as part of it's restart. Or you can choose from the KDE login screen from the menu option Restart xserver and there is another option in the same menu to go to a console login that is what you want to go to the "command prompt".

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3
    I want to know if I can write on the knoppix cd, by this I mean setup TTF fonts and also other stuff. Can I also write my other partitions?

    XPediTioN

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    148
    came across this post when searching how to restart the xserver from the command line - I'm rarely at my knoppix machine and do most things from my win laptop via SSH. When I ocasionally need a GUI, I use VNC4. This works fine, except from time to time (I leave the knoppix box on all the time) the xserver is unresponsive :(

    so this is the command I found that does the job for me - it restarts KDM (which by Knoppix default we're using in preference to XDM) which restarts the xserver
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart
    this may not be the most elegant/correct way but it works(tm) and I thought it might be useful for others...

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    24
    Knoppix worked for me finally with the following command at boot:
    knoppix 2 vga=normal lang=us

    Someone suggested this several months ago. I am just sharing this here now.
    Hope this helps someone.

    Vijay

Similar Threads

  1. Where Are Knoppix 3.7 Fonts Kept?
    By mac57 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-27-2005, 07:52 PM
  2. Please Help!:How to install Latex fonts on Knoppix 3.3?
    By Bonito in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-16-2004, 08:58 PM
  3. Adding Arabic fonts to KNOPPIX
    By aratux in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-02-2003, 12:40 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-15-2003, 12:32 AM
  5. Microsoft fonts question
    By Tortoise in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-24-2003, 06:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


DEC Vintage Module/Board Collectable Vintage chip - 1 BROKEN LEG (BO) picture

DEC Vintage Module/Board Collectable Vintage chip - 1 BROKEN LEG (BO)

$200.00



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$299.99



DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage picture

DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage

$74.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



6 Vintage DEC Digital System Building Blocks - Flip Chips  picture

6 Vintage DEC Digital System Building Blocks - Flip Chips

$145.00



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts

$59.99



VINTAGE DEC 54-20470-02 MULTI-PLANE SPX COLOR GRAPHICS CARD FOR VXT2000 TERMINAL picture

VINTAGE DEC 54-20470-02 MULTI-PLANE SPX COLOR GRAPHICS CARD FOR VXT2000 TERMINAL

$149.00



Vintage DEC Digital VR299-DA CRT Color Monitor for VAXstation 2000 Computer picture

Vintage DEC Digital VR299-DA CRT Color Monitor for VAXstation 2000 Computer

$299.95



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC Digital M8933 module tape control TM03 common mode (B1) picture

Vintage DEC Digital M8933 module tape control TM03 common mode (B1)

$129.99