Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: can't get dhcp to work

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3

    can't get dhcp to work

    I have a cable-internet connection that works fine in Windows XP using dhcp.

    command "lspci" tells me:
    "Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev10)"
    (which is correct)

    command "ifconfig eth0 up" followed by "pump -i eth0" says "Operation failed".

    command "netcardconfig" also fails.

    What else can I try?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    32
    K-menu>Configurationa>Network?Internet>Network Card Config

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by rudiz
    K-menu>Configurationa>Network?Internet>Network Card Config
    Umm, I think that is just a GUI way of starting netcardconfig, which apparently didn't work.

    Do you have the kernel module loaded ? (use "lsmod" to list the ones currently loaded)
    I think you should have 8139too. If it isn't listed try "modprobe 8139too"

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    32
    if u follow my instruction...at the end u only have to click OK.
    U are using pump but u have to use dhcp!!!

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3
    - I tried "K-menu>KNOPPIX>Network/Internet>Network card configuration", it gave the same as the command "netcardconfig", just some more text around the "Operation failed" response.

    - lsmod lists 8139too as one of the loaded modules

    - some searching in this forum made me try starting knoppix with the "knoppix noapic lang=be" command, that didn't help.

    My ISP tries to prevent clients from using more than one pc on their broadband-connection. Could this be a factor in Knoppix not being able to get an ip-configuration through dhcp?

    Can I make Knoppix use the same hostname as in Windows by using "pump -i eth0 -h zzyxxpc"?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3

    It works now!

    I did a "ipconfig /release" in Windows and then booted Knoppix again, now it works!

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Europe-Belgium
    Posts
    18
    Hi, Linux users,
    I went to my brother'place this weekend, and I wanted to run Knoppix on his system running windoze ME and using a cable modem (Telenet-Belgium-Europe):
    Note while at home I use several pc's (1 windoze & 2 linux-knoppix(hd-installed)-debian on an adsl connection, with router, I've never had a problem going on line.
    But I had a problem now.
    What do I need to do?
    Do I have it right?:
    FIRST: give the IP free, doing this in windoze with the command (typed in a command prompt):
    ipconfig /release
    SECOND: reboot the systeem on Knoppix
    THIRD: run
    "K-menu>KNOPPIX>Network/Internet>Network card configuration"
    or run in a terminal:
    "ifconfig eth0 up"
    followed by
    "pump -i eth0"
    or do I need to install something else: dhcp?
    How do I do that?
    Thanks in advance.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2

    Re: can't get dhcp to work

    Quote Originally Posted by zZyXx
    I have a cable-internet connection that works fine in Windows XP using dhcp.

    command "lspci" tells me:
    "Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev10)"
    (which is correct)

    command "ifconfig eth0 up" followed by "pump -i eth0" says "Operation failed".

    command "netcardconfig" also fails.

    What else can I try?
    Did you check DNS adress at resolv.conf? You can take a view your syslog to get the error.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-29-2005, 08:58 AM
  2. DHCP
    By syco in forum Networking
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-14-2004, 03:59 AM
  3. DHCP works then it DOES NOT WORK
    By dugstratton in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 08:30 PM
  4. DHCP
    By renaxgade in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-23-2003, 02:35 AM
  5. DHCP ok but...
    By tyiooo in forum Networking
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-11-2003, 09:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11

Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11" 13"

$14.24



OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236 picture

OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236

$549.99



Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A picture

Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A

$10.99



Lot of 30 Genuine OEM Apple 30W USB-C Power Adapter for iPhone iPad MacBook Air picture

Lot of 30 Genuine OEM Apple 30W USB-C Power Adapter for iPhone iPad MacBook Air

$419.59



OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466 picture

OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466

$19.99



OEM 45W Charger For Apple MacBook Air 11-inch 13-inch Early 2012 2013 2014 2015 picture

OEM 45W Charger For Apple MacBook Air 11-inch 13-inch Early 2012 2013 2014 2015

$26.98



OEM Apple 45W A1436 Power Charger AC Adapter for MacBook Air MagSafe 2 picture

OEM Apple 45W A1436 Power Charger AC Adapter for MacBook Air MagSafe 2

$12.99



Genuine OEM 61W USB-C Power Adapter Charger For Apple MacBook PRO 13 inch A1718 picture

Genuine OEM 61W USB-C Power Adapter Charger For Apple MacBook PRO 13 inch A1718

$22.00



Genuine Apple OEM A2164 30W USB-C AC Power Adapter with USB-C Cable, Very Good picture

Genuine Apple OEM A2164 30W USB-C AC Power Adapter with USB-C Cable, Very Good

$21.05



apple oem cube 5w charger  picture

apple oem cube 5w charger

$6.99