-
New to GNU/Linux, but installed Knoppix Easily
I'm completely new to GNU/Linux, and the other day, I downloaded the ISO of Knoppix. After booting it up, and playing around in linux, I decided to install it to my hard drive today. (dual boot with Windows XP Pro). I just wanted to let you guys know how I did it, and how easy it was, just so if there are any other new people like me out there, they might get some benefit
1. first, I used Partition Magic 8.0 to make a 5 gb ext3 partition and a 1 gb swap partion (both at the end of my hard drive of course, because windows likes to keep it's partition as #1 I have noticed) .***note: don't set your ext3 partition to active yet, only do so when you want to boot linux for the first time. this way, you can boot windows until you are sure you are ready
2. I then installed knoppix using the knx-hdinstall method, and followed all the prompts, and it detected my partitions I had made for the linux installation in windows with PM 8.0. ***note: it asks you if you want LILO in the mbr, just say no, so that way later you can have the ext3 partition as active, and just boot from that. I suggest not messing with the windows ntfs partition, as windows doesn't like to play well with others.
3. well, when it's all done, and your computer reboots (don't leave the cd in the drive), XP should boot right up. Now, you can go into Partition Magic, set the ext3 partition to active, make sure to unhide the now unactive ntfs partition, reboot, and there ya go. no problemo.
4. now that you have a nice full linux system up and running, continue to try and learn all the commands! (trust me, I'm trying... I'm used to DOS/Windows, so this may take a while.)
I hope that helps some people out. I have a feeling I may have left some little stuff out, so please ask some questions.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Glad to hear it! I used a different procedure (detailed in a HOWTO in this forum) to get my computer dual-booting XP and Knoppix a while back, and now my system is more ofr less fully Debian... it's addictive.
Thanks for posting your positive experience, and do like I do- if a friend shows an interest in linux, direct them to Knoppix as the gateway drug of choice.
Similar Threads
-
By guicaste in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-12-2005, 01:30 AM
-
By clarjon1 in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-13-2005, 08:45 PM
-
By maestrobwh1 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-26-2004, 03:40 AM
-
By naventus in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-29-2004, 01:28 PM
-
By mikekgr in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 11-24-2003, 07:24 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A
$49.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$36.99

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD
$29.99

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$259.00

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99

Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop
$40.00