-
HELP!: Writing to the temp directory (/tmp) failed ...
I've tried tampering with Knoppix 3.3 (from 19/11/03) burned a CD with it, and put in a script (which worked in the old Knoppix 3.2) that creates /home/knoppix and copies some of my files from the cd to /home/knoppix on startup. But as I understand, K 3.3 already has that directory at startup. Could this script be the cause of this error? And if not, what could?
Error
---
The Following installation problem was detected while trying to start KDE:
Writing to the temp directory (/tmp) failed with the error 'Permission denied'
KDE is unable to start
---
Any input would be appreciated
Best regards,
Arbiter
-
I think I need more info. Check the permissions on the file that has the error. Try and figure out who owns it and who can write to it. It seems like a simple problem and I bet you can start by chmoding the heck out of it say a simple chmod -R 777 , after you have made a backup of the original that you can replace and seeing if that works. I don't really understand what you are trying to do but when the computer complains about being able to write somewhere either it does not exist is full or your user can't write to that FileSystem
good luck
IgnuU2
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
ignuu2
I think I need more info. Check the permissions on the file that has the error. Try and figure out who owns it and who can write to it. It seems like a simple problem and I bet you can start by chmoding the heck out of it say a simple chmod -R 777 , after you have made a backup of the original that you can replace and seeing if that works. I don't really understand what you are trying to do but when the computer complains about being able to write somewhere either it does not exist is full or your user can't write to that FileSystem
good luck
IgnuU2
I believe that you need chmod 1777 if it is the /tmp directory.
Similar Threads
-
By timothyatpir2 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-30-2005, 07:23 PM
-
By docgk1 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-29-2004, 01:31 PM
-
By MrT in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-11-2004, 08:52 AM
-
By NoviceW in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-10-2004, 08:17 PM
-
By ktheking in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-09-2003, 06:34 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Apple iic A2S4000 vintage computer
$200.00

Vintage Apple Disc II 5.25” Floppy Drive A2M0003 UNTESTED Macintosh
$45.00

Vintage Apple Rainbow Metal Case Emblem Logo rectangle
$49.99

Rare Vintage Apple Computer Promo Set Rainbow Logo Towel Polo Shirt Report Pad
$199.99

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS
$7.00

Vintage Apple IIe Platinum A2S2128 128K Computer - Powers On - Missing Key
$249.99

Apple Macintosh SE Vintage Desktop Computer Model M5010 Apple Macintosh SE
$99.99

Vintage Apple USB Mouse M4848 Bondi Blue "Hockey Puck" Mac Mouse - Free S/H
$24.99

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681
$299.99

3 Boxes-Vintage Apple Claris Macwrite MacPaint MacDraw - Sealed - NOS Rare 1988
$74.99