Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Lilo config please

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    57

    Lilo config please

    Folks;
    I did a HDD install oh 3.3. Since I already had a system and LILO on the disk, I dis not install LILO again. Unfortunately, I was not given the values (especially the 'append's) that should be in the new entry in the lilo.conf. The only one I used was "lang=en".

    As a result, I can't burn CDs (how do we get here from there you may ask?). My CD-RW is IDE and is given device 'hdc' during discovery (which is not what any application seems to expect). All the docs in the faq talk about SCSI / emulated SCSI devices. There are no SCSI mappings in 'dmesg'. The the string scsi only appears once in the dmesg.
    ----
    root@knop33# dmesg |grep scsi
    scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
    root@knop33#
    ----
    The '/usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.ATAPI.setup' refers to 'modconf' in step 6. It then directs the user of a selection that does not exist ("kernel/drivers/scsi"). I chose the simpler "drivers/scsi". Then load two non-existant modules of 'sg' and 'ide-scsi' (neither in the list).

    At this point I lost faith in this procedure and backed out all the changes made in steps 1-5.

    ?? With an IDE hardrive and IDE CD-RW, how do I burn a cd?

    BillS

    P.S. I ftp'ed the knoppix.iso to my FreeBSD machine in about 70 seconds (ya, 105 MB/sec) and burned it from there. And It worked!!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    I guess you just need to re-run lilo after editing your /etc/lilo.conf with SCSI emulation enabled for your IDE devices. See here.

Similar Threads

  1. Reinstall lilo to hda, using hda lilo.conf and knoppix live
    By tomjermy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 01:07 AM
  2. Debian freezing on LILO Config
    By sealview in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-2005, 05:25 PM
  3. KNOPPIX @ HDD -> Lilo Config?!
    By desty in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-21-2004, 06:07 PM
  4. LILO-config error
    By Taldor in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-26-2004, 02:07 AM
  5. Please Post a Simple CONFIG file for Kernel Config
    By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-06-2003, 05:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$125.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$13.99



Dell SonicWall TZ400 Network Security Appliance Firewall New picture

Dell SonicWall TZ400 Network Security Appliance Firewall New

$185.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 32 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License Package picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 32 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License Package

$299.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch picture

NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch

$499.99



BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD picture

BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD

$169.99



Multi-Boot Linux & Utility 18 in 1 USB – Best of 2026 Free Same-Day Shipping picture

Multi-Boot Linux & Utility 18 in 1 USB – Best of 2026 Free Same-Day Shipping

$22.99



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99