Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Black screen, tried suggestions given here.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1

    Black screen, tried suggestions given here.

    When I run Knoppix on this Hewlett Packard machine, I get a typical boot up until I run X at which point I get a black screen. I have tried the following suggestions found on this forum.

    failsafe
    expert (looks like from the expert output nv is detected anyway)
    knoppix xmodule=nv
    knoppix xserver=XF86_SVGA
    knoppix xserver=XF86_SVGA xmodule=nv
    knoppix 2 (this works fine but I get no X. When I run startx I get the same black screen)

    This video card is an NVIDA riva TNT2 model 64 (HP) and it is not an onboard video card.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Black screen, tried suggestions given here.

    Quote Originally Posted by dskippy
    When I run Knoppix on this Hewlett Packard machine, I get a typical boot up until I run X at which point I get a black screen. I have tried the following suggestions found on this forum.

    failsafe
    expert (looks like from the expert output nv is detected anyway)
    knoppix xmodule=nv
    knoppix xserver=XF86_SVGA
    knoppix xserver=XF86_SVGA xmodule=nv
    knoppix 2 (this works fine but I get no X. When I run startx I get the same black screen)

    This video card is an NVIDA riva TNT2 model 64 (HP) and it is not an onboard video card.
    You may want to try the noddc and xvrefresh=60 cheat codes as well. And the frame buffer by using fb1024x768 (choose your screen size wanted) at the start of the line instead of knoppix.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5

    I'm having the same issue wtih a Nvidia gforce 4 mx 420.

    I'm having the same issue wtih a Nvidia gforce 4 mx 420. I think it may be related to the power mangement because when I press the power button that starts the shut down process I can see a screen for a few moments unitil the power is killed. My screen isn't exactly blank as it is not even on as if there is no power from the video card, but it only happens after when X runs. I'm not a linux expert, so I don't know how to fix this, but thought I would add additional info.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: I'm having the same issue wtih a Nvidia gforce 4 mx 420.

    Quote Originally Posted by jrsath0me
    I'm having the same issue wtih a Nvidia gforce 4 mx 420. I think it may be related to the power mangement because when I press the power button that starts the shut down process I can see a screen for a few moments unitil the power is killed. My screen isn't exactly blank as it is not even on as if there is no power from the video card, but it only happens after when X runs. I'm not a linux expert, so I don't know how to fix this, but thought I would add additional info.
    Try the noapm, noacpi or noapic cheat codes you may also want to try the noddc to stop the detection of the monitor as well.

Similar Threads

  1. Black screen??
    By mikeym9477 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-08-2004, 04:59 AM
  2. Black screen...
    By Corallis in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-12-2004, 03:14 PM
  3. Help my screen is black
    By mperry2014 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-29-2003, 05:58 AM
  4. Black Screen
    By DCBJ in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-24-2003, 06:00 AM
  5. Black Screen after boot screen
    By Jmack0013 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-18-2003, 04:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested picture

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested

$35.00



Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590 picture

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590

$129.00