Rickenbacherus,

Considering that this is such a "frequently asked question", you think maybe we could put a STICKY post on this forum on it?

Something like:

Subject: "Root Passwords In Knoppix"

If you are running Knoppix from the CD - you can create a Root password by doing ...
But you will need to save this information by doing ... or you will have to do all of this over and over again each time you exit and reboot.

If you have installed Knoppix onto your hard drive, as in knx-hdinstall, or any of the other hard drive install options, you were asked to enter your Root, or Super User, password twice, and then asked for the default, Knoppix, user password twice...

I think answering these questions is important, I know when I was just starting out, I tried to locate all information on the subject myself, but all of the documentation pointed to reading the Security HOWTO file, which was lame. It only stated that the root and user accounts were password disabled, and that sudo was enabled. Not very helpful, especially when you are clueless about su, or passwd. Maybe a nice sticky post will help everyone out on this subject. I realized that the documentation in Knoppix is limitied, either for security reasons, or for lack of space, or for lack of consideration, but with the frequency of this question, I think we can slow down the posts of them by a simple sticky post - one that "gets them" before they don't see something that is what they are looking for.

Sound like a good idea?
Just trying to help,
Cuddles