Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Startup Script doesn't run

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NorthEastern US
    Posts
    1

    Startup Script doesn't run

    First, I am using a usb jumpdrive to save my homedir and config files. At bootup I specify myconfig=scan and home=scan. There doesn't seem to be any problems with saving things like browser settings, desktop changes etc. , but I cannot seem to get a startup script to run to activate my network settings (wireless). I've tried creating a sym-link in /etc/init.d, /etc/rcS.d and /etc/rc5.d none of which work. I even ran saveconfig after each link was added.

    My jumpdrive is mounted as /mnt/sda1
    I have my startup scripts in /mnt/sda1/etc/
    The symbolic links I have tried to get working are like this:

    in /etc/rcS.d
    ln -s /mnt/sda1/etc/S01-network-config.home S01-network-config.home

    in /etc/rc5.d
    ln -s /mnt/sda1/etc/S01-network-config.home S77-network-config.home

    in /etc/init.d
    ln -s /mnt/sda1/etc/S01-network-config.home homenet

    Does anyone know how to get a startup script to run persistently? If so, I would like to hear about it.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Remaster your knoppix CD so that the softlink you're trying to create actually exists when the system is booting (in /etc/rc5.d and probably rc2.d and rc3.d as well) and so your script is embedded in the CD filesystem (/usr/local/bin is a good place). If you're adding it after you boot, it is not being saved.

Similar Threads

  1. Getting rid of startup script actions
    By lengel in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 08:22 AM
  2. how do I run a script on startup
    By monkeyking in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-03-2005, 10:19 PM
  3. Help with shell script + startup
    By niXnoob in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-06-2004, 04:56 AM
  4. Need help with startup script.
    By obsoleto in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 05:43 AM
  5. Startup script and noscsi
    By darthczyz in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-14-2004, 06:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.72