Have you tried of trying any of the options for the driver in my config I use these.
Code:
Identifier  "Card0
Driver      "nvidia"
Option      "NoLogo" "on"
Option      "NvAgp"  "1"
Option      "RenderAccel" "On"
Option      "IgnoreEDID"  "on"
Option      "IgnoreDisplayDevices"  "DFP, TV"
Option      "NoBandWidthTest" "1"
VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
BoardName   "NV17 [GeForce4 MX 440-SE]"
BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
The NVAgp gets it to use the nvidia agpgart the Render is for 2D acceleration the IgnoreEDID tells the card not to use the monitor built in settings but yours in the config file the IgnoreDisplay is for digitial cable and TV out not being used and the No Bandwidth makes the card not test the bandwith of the card. Your card should work the only difference between yours and mine the 8x AGP so have you checked what you have set in your BIOS and maybe cut back the port to 4x speed and if you have any speedup settings for the bandwidth writing in there like I have in mine you may want unset those as well. BTW which driver version are you using the 4496 or the new 5328 and can you post the /var/log/XFree86.0.log file so I can see it?

And now that I see this is it a typo, there should be no dash between the 195 and the nvidia and a j not y.
Code:
alias char-mayor-195-nvidia
should be
Code:
alias char-major-195  nvidia