Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Using a USB flash drive as RAM.....

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8

    Using a USB flash drive as RAM.....

    Ok, heres that deal. I work at a major electronics store and we need to be able to back up data on laptops, but we do not have auth. to take that HDs out. So iv'e loaded knopptix under run level 2 "knopptix 2" at start up. Then I mount my hda1 (my win partition) and then I mount my smb drive and transfer my files over.

    The problem comes when I have a laptop that has under 128 MB ram. Then I start getting ERRnomem errors. I figure this is because I'm using so much of te RAM as ramdisk.

    So my question is: Can I use a USB flash drive as RAM in Linux??? I would repartition the drive, but many of the laptops I get have a bunch of bad sectors and that usually won't work.

    How can I "partition" a USB flash drive as swap and how do I get the Linux box to recongnise it as system RAM?

    THANKS in advance for any help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    You can probably use it as swap if you cfdisk it to the right type of filesystem for swap.

    Knoppix would probably recognize it as /dev/sda1, so once you've made a partition on it of type swap with cfdisk, you'd then run these commands as root:

    cfdisk /dev/sda
    mkswap /dev/sda1
    swapon -a

    In fact, knoppix might detect it and use it as swapspace automatically thereafter.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    I don't have a USB drive so this is nothing more than a stab in the dark......

    cdrecord -scanbus

    Hopefully your USB drive shows up there. If so it should be mountable something like /dev/sda

    If you can mount it i would think that you could partition and format it.

    cfdisk /dev/sda

    mkswap /dev/sda1
    swapon /dev/sad1

    Then maybe (if you're really lucky) the next time you boot knoppix it might just see your swap and use it. Please post back either way as this is something I'd like to explore further in the future.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, USA
    Posts
    40
    While it might be possible to format the USB drive to be swap, it is most likely not a good idea if the drive is a flash (pen/thumb) drive. Those drives have a very limited read/write speed (<10MBs). This would be VERY noticeable when using it to transfer files. Another very important limitation with these drives is that they have a limited erase cycle, most around 1,000,000 times. While this might seem like a lot (and it is for file storage) it is not enough to use as swap.
    I apologize if the flash drives are not what you were talking about. If you were talking about a USB hard drive then I am right with you on that one. I think that a USB hard drive would be a great idea, and eliminate the partitioning problem that you are currently having.

    Cheers,
    Duffin

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8

    USB HD.

    Hadn't thought of a USB HD. That would probebly do a much better job. Thanks for the tip.

Similar Threads

  1. using a PDA as a usb flash drive
    By jehan60188 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 07:57 PM
  2. Permanent home onto Sandisk USB flash drive ruined drive
    By mjman in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 09:46 PM
  3. usb flash drive
    By mmaarrcc in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-04-2004, 09:03 AM
  4. Access usb flash drive
    By anhtran81 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-18-2004, 12:22 PM
  5. FLASH DRIVE Problem!
    By ReaLity in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-13-2003, 06:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Desktop Processor (4.7GHz, 8 Cores, Socket AM4)  picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Desktop Processor (4.7GHz, 8 Cores, Socket AM4)

$150.00



Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested picture

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested

$35.00



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590 picture

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590

$129.00