Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Nortel vpn

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12

    Nortel vpn

    I need, or rather a friend needs to login to work from home. live cd works for login to Cox cable modem, but how/where can he find out how to then login to a nortel vpn? I am clueless as I have never logged in to a business network nor nortel type vpn. He has the ?? userid and password(s)/whatever to do it in M$, but he wants to use knoppix to do work from home.

    I looked around nortel's website, but got lost looking for any useful (that I recognized anyway) info.

    TIA

    Long live the KING
    Long live Knoppix!!! :D :D

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Hmmm, he'll need to know the IP of the gateway he is connecting to. That will be in his Nortel Contivity client's config panel (same page where he enters his password). Then he'd need a VPN client on his live CD. I don't know if knoppix has one or not as I usually ssh when doing work remotely and have never used a VPN in Linux or Unix...

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12
    I know he knows the ip, but still need more info. Going over to his place tomorrow eve, hopefully something that works will be posted by then.

    Again
    TIA

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    From what I have found there aren't alot of vpn clients for Linux. netlock has apparently created a vpn client for Nortel:

    http://www.netlock.com/

    $95 US- ouch!

    But there is http://www.freeswan.org/

    Linux FreeS/WAN: Linux Free S/WAN is an implementation of IPSEC and IKE for Linux. Free S/WAN is interoperable with most VPN implementations including OpenBSD VPN, FreeBSD VPN, NetBSD VPN, Cisco VPN Routers (1720, 2600, 3030, 3600, 4000, 4500, AS5300, 7200, 7500 and more), Nortel Contivity VPN switches, Raptor Firewall, Gauntlet firewall GVPN, Checkpoint Firewall-1, F-Secure VPN for Windows, Watchguard VPN, Xedia Access Point QVPN, PGP Mac and Windows Client, IRE Safenet SoftPK VPN client, Borderware Freegate and Timestep, Intel/Shiva LANrover, Sonicwall, Radguard VPN, Windows VPN clients, WinNT domains, and Win2k 2000 VPN.

    I don't beleive it's in Knoppix however. Is a remaster in your future?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Yup, looks like you should remaster a CD or install knoppix to a hard drive so you can install a vpn client. You might ask someone to add it to an existing custom version of knoppix....

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    I've never used this distro myself but maybe this will help. http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6390#28964

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    I don't beleive it's in Knoppix however. Is a remaster in your future?
    There is vpnc in Knoppix. I didnot install it after I installed Knoppix on my HD, so I suppose it is there.

    But I could not make it work, yet, because to run vpnc we need the IPSec ID and password of the VPN server. For that, we should ask the administrator, which is not very helpful with this kind of information.

    vpnc readme says that those information is available in vpn client for windows that is usually provided, and somehow we can extract the information out.

    Still struggling here.

Similar Threads

  1. VPN Client for Nortel Contivity ????
    By seth in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-17-2003, 09:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$13.99



W&T 50519 Pure.box 3 USB Linux Thin Client Industrial PC Embedded Server picture

W&T 50519 Pure.box 3 USB Linux Thin Client Industrial PC Embedded Server

$135.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch picture

NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch

$499.99



Ubuntu 26.04 LTS – 3 DVD Set Desktop - Server - Studio Edition - Grade AAA+ picture

Ubuntu 26.04 LTS – 3 DVD Set Desktop - Server - Studio Edition - Grade AAA+

$13.99



BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD picture

BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD

$169.99



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00