Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Static IP is not static!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    It-Lee
    Posts
    15

    Static IP is not static!

    I'm using a Knoppix 3.2 hdinstall (2.4.22 kernel) & I've got an annoying problem. I've set a static Class C IP, subnet, default route, etc. using 'netcardconfig', but every time I reboot, I get a random IP assigned in the subnet to eth0. How can I bind my desired IP address to eth0??

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Static IP is not static!

    Quote Originally Posted by beecee
    I'm using a Knoppix 3.2 hdinstall (2.4.22 kernel) & I've got an annoying problem. I've set a static Class C IP, subnet, default route, etc. using 'netcardconfig', but every time I reboot, I get a random IP assigned in the subnet to eth0. How can I bind my desired IP address to eth0??
    Sounds like you have a DHCP server giving you an address from somewhere on the network how do you have the network setup?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    It-Lee
    Posts
    15
    I thought the same thing Stephen, but I don't. I only have this machine & a Win2K box I'm using as a gateway. When I 'ps -x' my Knoppix box, I'm not seeing DHCP. Is there another way to check for the service running on this machine?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by beecee
    I thought the same thing Stephen, but I don't. I only have this machine & a Win2K box I'm using as a gateway. When I 'ps -x' my Knoppix box, I'm not seeing DHCP. Is there another way to check for the service running on this machine?
    It would be coming from the windows box, IIRC when you use internet connection sharing it uses DHCP to assign the address to the machines on the network.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    It-Lee
    Posts
    15
    Ah, there you go. This is the first time I've used ICS. I had the DHCP service disabled, but now I see it was the client. It's always something. Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. Static IP Help
    By hoy_128 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-29-2004, 03:37 AM
  2. static DNS problem !
    By Atte in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 05:12 PM
  3. Static IP address
    By jdally in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-17-2004, 08:35 PM
  4. Setting Static IP
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-13-2004, 09:08 PM
  5. Static IPs?
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-06-2004, 12:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



HGST Ultrastar 4TB SAS 12Gb/s 7200RPM 3.5

HGST Ultrastar 4TB SAS 12Gb/s 7200RPM 3.5" HDD HUS726040AL5214 4Kn

$56.00



Seagate BarraCuda ST5000LM000 5TB 5400RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5

Seagate BarraCuda ST5000LM000 5TB 5400RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Hard

$169.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$84.00



**77%-89% HEALTH**HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache picture

**77%-89% HEALTH**HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache

$69.99



Constellation 4TB SAS HDD Server Drive ST4000NM0023 picture

Constellation 4TB SAS HDD Server Drive ST4000NM0023

$31.19



Hitachi  / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD

$29.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health

$78.00



New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD

$137.59



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99