Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 33 of 33

Thread: Anyone use a router?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: worry NOT

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    http://www.dyndns.org/ I believe is the site you are looking for ....
    Thanks. Having the right URL seems to help
    Strangely, the other did do a good DNS lookup, just never got an answer from it's server, so I didn't guess the URL was wrong (maybe it's also valid, but it's not answering)

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    AFAIK you run a client on your machine that goes out and updates the dyndns.org record with your new It when it changes.
    Yea, I get that you run a client. My question is that, when I'm behind a NAT router I'll be on a box who's IP address never changes. It's the IP address of my router that changes, and I'm wondering how the client knows when that happens (since there seems to be no common way to talk to the many different routers out there to determine it). The only way I could come up with that the clients might work is to send frequent update packets to the server and let the server decide if the IP address that are coming from has changed or not, but there certainly could be some other way this happens and I would like to know if I'm overlooking something.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: worry NOT

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Thanks. Having the right URL seems to help
    Strangely, the other did do a good DNS lookup, just never got an answer from it's server, so I didn't guess the URL was wrong (maybe it's also valid, but it's not answering)
    I got the same thing when I checked the same url just a time out on the server port 80 for the original but I knew it did not look like the right url from seeing people on Debian user who use the same service so I checked a couple of post and there was the correct one.
    Yea, I get that you run a client. My question is that, when I'm behind a NAT router I'll be on a box who's IP address never changes. It's the IP address of my router that changes, and I'm wondering how the client knows when that happens (since there seems to be no common way to talk to the many different routers out there to determine it). The only way I could come up with that the clients might work is to send frequent update packets to the server and let the server decide if the IP address that are coming from has changed or not, but there certainly could be some other way this happens and I would like to know if I'm overlooking something.
    I believe the idea is the same as something like grc.com does when you probe your ports the client goes out to a site (dyndns.org itself I'm thinking) and uses a lookup to determine the IP you currently have (which would be the IP of the router) and compares to the record it already has if it differs then it changes the record and then your router handles the port forwarding to the IP you choose for the service you will open up.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    203

    OOps

    Sorry I didn't get back sooner but like Stephen says....

    As I pointed out earlier it doesn't actually matter which PC you run it on....
    Its a bit more sophisticated than just looking at its IP in the ifconfig and sending that... it actually uses its own protcol to do it.

    If you use the ddclient and dyndns.org I can send you the config files I use.

    I had to create the init script, not that its hard or anything but I guess it saves messing about!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Similar Threads

  1. Help configouring Lan Router
    By francy222 in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-20-2005, 06:27 PM
  2. What's so special about a router?
    By sn0wflake in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-19-2004, 03:26 PM
  3. USB Router/Modem
    By tommyf in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-23-2003, 10:23 PM
  4. Router
    By pnti in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-21-2003, 05:15 AM
  5. 3com 812 router
    By carmine65 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-07-2003, 01:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM

$139.99



Samsung 16GB DDR4 2133MHz PC4-17000 ECC REG Server RAM RDIMM 2Rx4 288-Pin Memory picture

Samsung 16GB DDR4 2133MHz PC4-17000 ECC REG Server RAM RDIMM 2Rx4 288-Pin Memory

$149.00



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Samsung 128GB (4x32GB) DDR4 PC4-2666V ECC Server RAM 288-Pin M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Y picture

Samsung 128GB (4x32GB) DDR4 PC4-2666V ECC Server RAM 288-Pin M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Y

$699.99



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Samsung 64GB (16GBx4) 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA M393A2K43EM3-CWENY DDR4 Server Memory picture

Samsung 64GB (16GBx4) 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA M393A2K43EM3-CWENY DDR4 Server Memory

$399.99



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98