-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
rusty
.... I wonder if you could get more functionality by using one of the PC's as the router and then a separate, and perhaps less expensive switch or hub.
You certainly can make a router out of an old PC. There are some issues, of course. Obviously you need to add at least two NICs to the PC. A bigger issue with me was that I leave my connection up 24x7, I expect it costs me less to buy and run an inexpensive, cool running, silent router that runs off a small wall-wart than it would to just power an old PC for a few years. I guess it comes down to if you want to go through the learning experience or if you just want something that solves the problem and lets you focus on learning something else.
As to using a cheaper switch or hub with a computer, I don't think that's very likely. The routers are sold in great numbers and often at a great discount (I couldn't find a really cheap 4 port wired router tonight in a few minutes of searching, although I did find that CompUSA has a $29.99 router that has 4 ports and includes 802.11b wireless access. [It's FMI brand, I know nothing about if it's good or bad.]) Still, I expect in a few days or another week after that at the most there will be some deals on wired 4 port units, there seem to be every few weeks. A 4 or 5 port switch might well cost more than the router with built-in switch, which really makes using a computer and then a switch purely a learning exercise or something done only for exceptional needs that the off-the-shelf units don't address. In fact, if you need a switch you might want to look at some routers - I think the firmware version in my old Linksys would let me disable the router and DHCP server and just use the device as a simple switch. In some cases this could be less expensive than buying just a switch (which are sold in smaller numbers and to "industry" that is less price sensitive than home consumers, so they are seldom as well discounted as routers like the Linksys, d-link, or SMC boxes).
Similar Threads
-
By francy222 in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-20-2005, 06:27 PM
-
By sn0wflake in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 9
Last Post: 04-19-2004, 03:26 PM
-
By tommyf in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-23-2003, 10:23 PM
-
By pnti in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-21-2003, 05:15 AM
-
By carmine65 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-07-2003, 01:44 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs
$49.99

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive
$200.00

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server Intel Xeon E5630 4GB DDR3 No HDD
$279.99

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

IBM Server Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit ( Part Numbers: 00D9375 / 00D9374 )
$24.99