-
Senior Member
registered user
Hardware ROUTERS BEWARE
Sorry this is a bit late...
Bascially I've wrecked two routers ... well a wireless access point and a Belkin router/wifi. They are more fragile than the SEEM
The first was a Netgear wireless access point....
To cut a long story short it really needed WinBlows to configure it but I don't have Winblows... so I kept trying .... I got it working at one point by installing winblows on an old disk then got the clients working....
It all looked fine!!! Anyway to cut a long story short I ended up having to try hardware reseting several times when trying to get it working with linux clients. Somewhere inbetween it refused to hardware reset.
The Belkin runs linux (or at least *nix)
Its a 4 port switch and wifi router ....
Initial setup (shortly after XMAS day at my parents went fine) I had planned to use it with the netgear to use the 4 switched ports in the living room.
Anyway it all looked good and it was a bargain (£60 including a PCMCIA card in the sales)
Anyway at this point I configred it as just a bridge becuae I still had my old server... running routing to the internet/NAT and all the goodies mentioned on this thread!!!
Then I decided to replace the PC with the lower running cost hardware router....
This involved the hardware reset...
Basically the manual says press the reset button, the FAQ on the web sayas press it for 7 secs.
So inbetween Id kept pressing, holding... lights flashed etc.
Then I got the config webpage up in the router and reconfigured.
I kkept getitng the odd error /dev/mda1 not found ....
I messed up and needed to reset again....and I fugured this might solve the device not found...
Oops
It just won't come back up....
Ive tried 50x and the lights don't even power up.
I think its the firmware is damaged BUT I have no way to connect to it and flash it..
Amazingly it still works as a switch.... but all the routing functions are gone and the config page etc.
Now I wish Id stayed with the PC router....
edits...
Oh retrospectively I think this is what happened to the netgear access point. Probably pulled the power while it was writing to the flash memory.
Similar Threads
-
By francy222 in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-20-2005, 06:27 PM
-
By sn0wflake in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 9
Last Post: 04-19-2004, 03:26 PM
-
By tommyf in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-23-2003, 10:23 PM
-
By pnti in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-21-2003, 05:15 AM
-
By carmine65 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-07-2003, 01:44 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99

Matched Pair _ Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.2GHz 20-Core Processor CPU LGA2011 SR2JW
$94.99

Dell Precision T5820 950W Workstation 4.00GHz W-2125 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$144.98

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00