Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Intstlling Packages?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    52

    Intstlling Packages?

    I'm trying to get my first download installed.
    I'm running Knoppix from the hard drive.
    I picked the top .deb file (pacman game) from this site.
    http://www.tuxfinder.com/packages/se...deb&country=US

    When I click to download it I'm give the option to use KPackage.
    KPackage opens and I see pacman downloaded to it.
    I click install and it seems to install it under games just fine.
    I can find it in under games, the icon looks like a blank page.
    I click on the icon to start the game and it can not seem to find anything.

    I can find the game in KPackage and it shows

    status
    install ok installed


    So what I'm I doing wrong?

    Thanks,

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Bothell, Washington, USA
    Posts
    14

    Regarding pacman package installation

    Hello...this is my first post here. I mainly work with and use MS software (especially servers and Citrix MetaFrame), but am interested in Linux and I'm trying my hand at exploring Knoppix.

    As a test I just installed the same pacman package, and when I try to run it by running a shell and typing "pacman", I get the following:
    X Error of failed request: BadName (named color or font does not exist)
    Major opcode of failed request: 45 (X_OpenFont)
    Serial number of failed request: 27
    Current serial number in output stream: 31
    Don't know if this is the same problem that you are experiencing but I thought that I would report it here.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Intstlling Packages?

    Quote Originally Posted by spydie
    I'm trying to get my first download installed.
    I'm running Knoppix from the hard drive.
    I picked the top .deb file (pacman game) from this site.
    http://www.tuxfinder.com/packages/se...deb&country=US

    When I click to download it I'm give the option to use KPackage.
    KPackage opens and I see pacman downloaded to it.
    I click install and it seems to install it under games just fine.
    I can find it in under games, the icon looks like a blank page.
    I click on the icon to start the game and it can not seem to find anything.

    I can find the game in KPackage and it shows

    status
    install ok installed


    So what I'm I doing wrong?

    Thanks,
    You should get the package from debian it just installed fine here.

    Code:
    HappyTux:/home/stephen# apt-cache search pacman
    hatman - Customizable high-resolution Pacman clone
    mangoquest - The Blue Mango Quest, a first person maze game
    mangoquest-data - The Blue Mango Quest, a first person maze game
    mangoquest-doc - The Blue Mango Quest, a first person maze game
    xpacman - Basic Pacman
    apple2 - Apple ][ Emulator
    xapple2 - Apple ][ Emulator
    gtkboard - Many board games in one program
    pacman - Chase Monsters in a Labyrinth
    op-kpacman-fb - Pacman clone for Opie
    HappyTux:/home/stephen# apt-cache policy pacman
    pacman:
      Installed: (none)
      Candidate: 10-14
      Version Table:
         10-14 0
            990 http://ftp2.de.debian.org testing/main Packages
            600 http://ftp2.de.debian.org unstable/main Packages
         10-13 0
            500 http://ftp2.de.debian.org stable/main Packages
    HappyTux:/home/stephen# apt-get -s install pacman
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
       pacman (10-14)
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
    Inst pacman (10-14 Debian:testing)
    Conf pacman (10-14 Debian:testing)
    HappyTux:/home/stephen# apt-get install pacman
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
       pacman (10-14)
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
    Need to get 26.8kB of archives.
    After unpacking 266kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Get:1 http://ftp2.de.debian.org testing/main pacman 10-14 [26.8kB]
    Fetched 26.8kB in 0s (30.7kB/s)
    Reading package fields... Done
    Reading package status... Done
    Retrieving bug reports... Done
    Reading changelogs... Done
    Selecting previously deselected package pacman.
    (Reading database ... 77527 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking pacman (from .../archives/pacman_10-14_i386.deb) ...
    Setting up pacman (10-14) ...
    
    HappyTux:/home/stephen# pacman
    bash: pacman: command not found
    HappyTux:/home/stephen# whereis pacman
    pacman: /usr/games/pacman /usr/share/man/man6/pacman.6.gz
    HappyTux:/home/stephen# /usr/games/pacman
    You have to add it to the menus yourself and choose some icon it does not seem to come with it's own. It starts with the game playing so reading the man page would be a good idea to find out the command line switches if any.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Bothell, Washington, USA
    Posts
    14
    I tried all that but I still get the error messages I quoted earlier. Hmmm...

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraMega
    I tried all that but I still get the error messages I quoted earlier. Hmmm...
    Try strace pacman to see where it is failing.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Bothell, Washington, USA
    Posts
    14
    The "strace pacman" command spit out a few hundred lines of output, and looks cryptic to me. There's a few lines here and there complaining about "No such file or directory" for "/etc/ld.so.nohwcap", but that might not be related. Want me to cut & paste the entire output, or just the last screen of text?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraMega
    The "strace pacman" command spit out a few hundred lines of output, and looks cryptic to me. There's a few lines here and there complaining about "No such file or directory" for "/etc/ld.so.nohwcap", but that might not be related. Want me to cut & paste the entire output, or just the last screen of text?
    Even stranger I have no such file:

    Code:
    HappyTux:/home/stephen# ll /etc/ld.so.*
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root          36K 2003-12-31 04:18 /etc/ld.so.cache
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root           96 2003-12-18 21:54 /etc/ld.so.conf
    Unless it is looking in the ld.so.conf file for a path here is what is in mine:

    Code:
    /usr/X11R6/lib
    
    /usr/lib/libc5-compat
    /lib/libc5-compat
    /usr/i486-linuxlibc1/lib
    /usr/local/lib
    For the output do you have some place where you can put a text file on the web and put a URL here it's probably better than having a huge post.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Bothell, Washington, USA
    Posts
    14

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    52

    Re: Intstlling Packages?

    When you say I should get the package from debian do you mean download it at debian.com or what?

    How do I add it to the menus myself?
    Do I add it to the menu well in KPackage?

    Thanks for helping me out,

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    52
    I should maybe add, being a newbie I don't really know what to do with the code that is being posted.

    I would like to be able to just click, download and install something simple to see how it works.

    Unless you can give me step by step instructions on what I should be doing with the code.

    Thanks again for taking the time to help this newbie out

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. where are the nx packages?
    By dobell in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-18-2005, 02:32 PM
  2. FTP with knoppix packages
    By kamil in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 01:17 PM
  3. Packages
    By boombastic in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-14-2004, 09:02 AM
  4. how to install non-deb packages, e.g. tar.gz ?
    By linux55 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 03:11 AM
  5. packages
    By mogz in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-11-2003, 05:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS picture

Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS

$49.99



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Firewalla Gold Plus 2.5GbE Firewall Router – Excellent Condition picture

Firewalla Gold Plus 2.5GbE Firewall Router – Excellent Condition

$435.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$229.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00