-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
UltraMega
I don't think the pacman package included an icon image for it, so if you really want the icon to be something other than "blank sheet of paper" you may have to make your own (that's another topic) and use Menu Editor to change the properties of the pacman entry in the menu. But, looks like right now the bigger problem is just running the dang thing, since we both seem to be experiencing the same error messages.
I get the same error on the install that I did of the latest knoppix on my spare machine today (had to replace a dead HD) and pacman does not want to work at all whereas it works fine on my Debian SID machine. I made all the font changes I normally make and upgraded the xserver to experimental (what a nightmare on knoppix wouldn't even wish it on Billg) so I would have identical versions and it still comes up with the error so it is something somewhere I can't find in the Knoppix configuration.
Note the the items you see in the menu are nothing more then files ending in ".desktop". I like to think of them as a kind of equivalent to ".lnk" (shortcut) files you see in MS Windows in places such as \Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs. For KDE, the main places to look are under /usr/share/applnk (for items that all users can see in the menu), and in one's own home directory under /.kde/share/applnk. Note that any files and directories beginning with "." are "hidden" and do not show up by default when using
ls or Konqueror, so you may have to change settings accordingly to see them. You may want to open one of the .desktop files with KEdit and have a look around. They are nothing more than another way to run a program or script, which as you've learned you can do from a shell prompt as well.
(Guys, as I'm trying to learn Linux myself, if I state anything here or in other posts that is incorrect please let me/us know so that I am not misinformed about a particular feature or setting. Thanks!)
Looks like you understand it fairly well.
Similar Threads
-
By dobell in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-18-2005, 02:32 PM
-
By kamil in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-12-2004, 01:17 PM
-
By boombastic in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-14-2004, 09:02 AM
-
By linux55 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-29-2004, 03:11 AM
-
By mogz in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-11-2003, 05:44 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7" 4GB Wi-Fi + Verizon Tablet Working
$30.00

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q
$185.00

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping
$50.00

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)
$57.99

Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW 20" 1600x900 Resolution WideScreen LCD Monitor
$41.00

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung
$89.99

Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc
$27.99

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue
$225.77

Lot of 6 Samsung SSD 256GB PM9A1 NVMe Tested Good.
$180.00