Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Problem with "foomatic" during apt upgrade

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Bothell, Washington, USA
    Posts
    14

    Problem with "foomatic" during apt upgrade

    When performing an APT upgrade through KPackage, the followin appears in the dialog window:
    Setting up foomatic-filters (3.0.0-20031207-1) ...
    Configuration file `/etc/foomatic/filter.conf'
    ==> File on system created by you or by a script.
    ==> File also in package provided by package maintainer.
    What would you like to do about it ? Your options are:
    Y or I : install the package maintainer's version
    N or O : keep your currently-installed version
    D : show the differences between the versions
    Z : start a new shell to examine the situation
    The default action is to keep your current version.
    *** filter.conf (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?
    The problem is, pressing the Enter key just moves it to the next line instead of returning my response to the prompt, and the only thing I can do to get past it is to press Ctrl-C, which produces the following:
    dpkg: error processing foomatic-filters (--configure):
    subprocess post-installation script killed by signal (Interrupt)
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of foomatic-db:
    foomatic-db depends on foomatic-filters; however:
    Package foomatic-filters is not configured yet.
    dpkg: error processing foomatic-db (--configure):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of foomatic-db-engine:
    foomatic-db-engine depends on foomatic-db; however:
    Package foomatic-db is not configured yet.
    foomatic-db-engine depends on foomatic-filters; however:
    Package foomatic-filters is not configured yet.
    dpkg: error processing foomatic-db-engine (--configure):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of foomatic-db-hpijs:
    foomatic-db-hpijs depends on foomatic-filters; however:
    Package foomatic-filters is not configured yet.
    foomatic-db-hpijs depends on foomatic-db; however:
    Package foomatic-db is not configured yet.
    dpkg: error processing foomatic-db-hpijs (--configure):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of foomatic-bin:
    foomatic-bin depends on foomatic-db (>> 2.9); however:
    Package foomatic-db is not configured yet.
    foomatic-bin depends on foomatic-db-hpijs; however:
    Package foomatic-db-hpijs is not configured yet.
    foomatic-bin depends on foomatic-db-engine; however:
    Package foomatic-db-engine is not configured yet.
    foomatic-bin depends on foomatic-filters; however:
    Package foomatic-filters is not configured yet.
    dpkg: error processing foomatic-bin (--configure):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    foomatic-filters
    foomatic-db
    foomatic-db-engine
    foomatic-db-hpijs
    foomatic-bin
    The only edit I've done to my /etc/apt/sources.list file is to add the line for developer.linuxtag.net/knoppix.

    Has anyone else encountered this problem?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Problem with "foomatic" during apt upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by UltraMega
    When performing an APT upgrade through KPackage, the followin appears in the dialog window:
    Setting up foomatic-filters (3.0.0-20031207-1) ...
    Configuration file `/etc/foomatic/filter.conf'
    ==> File on system created by you or by a script.
    ==> File also in package provided by package maintainer.
    What would you like to do about it ? Your options are:
    Y or I : install the package maintainer's version
    N or O : keep your currently-installed version
    D : show the differences between the versions
    Z : start a new shell to examine the situation
    The default action is to keep your current version.
    *** filter.conf (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?
    The problem is, pressing the Enter key just moves it to the next line instead of returning my response to the prompt, and the only thing I can do to get past it is to press Ctrl-C, which produces the following:
    dpkg: error processing foomatic-filters (--configure):
    subprocess post-installation script killed by signal (Interrupt)
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of foomatic-db:
    foomatic-db depends on foomatic-filters; however:
    Package foomatic-filters is not configured yet.
    dpkg: error processing foomatic-db (--configure):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of foomatic-db-engine:
    foomatic-db-engine depends on foomatic-db; however:
    Package foomatic-db is not configured yet.
    foomatic-db-engine depends on foomatic-filters; however:
    Package foomatic-filters is not configured yet.
    dpkg: error processing foomatic-db-engine (--configure):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of foomatic-db-hpijs:
    foomatic-db-hpijs depends on foomatic-filters; however:
    Package foomatic-filters is not configured yet.
    foomatic-db-hpijs depends on foomatic-db; however:
    Package foomatic-db is not configured yet.
    dpkg: error processing foomatic-db-hpijs (--configure):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of foomatic-bin:
    foomatic-bin depends on foomatic-db (>> 2.9); however:
    Package foomatic-db is not configured yet.
    foomatic-bin depends on foomatic-db-hpijs; however:
    Package foomatic-db-hpijs is not configured yet.
    foomatic-bin depends on foomatic-db-engine; however:
    Package foomatic-db-engine is not configured yet.
    foomatic-bin depends on foomatic-filters; however:
    Package foomatic-filters is not configured yet.
    dpkg: error processing foomatic-bin (--configure):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    foomatic-filters
    foomatic-db
    foomatic-db-engine
    foomatic-db-hpijs
    foomatic-bin
    The only edit I've done to my /etc/apt/sources.list file is to add the line for developer.linuxtag.net/knoppix.

    Has anyone else encountered this problem?
    To start with you do not need the developer line in the package list you should remove it. To solve the problem try mv /etc/foomatic/filter.conf /etc/foomatic/filter.conf.backup and then proceed to install the packages if the file is not there it should not fail on the replacement.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Bothell, Washington, USA
    Posts
    14
    The "mv ...." command worked...thanks!

    Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the "developer line" in the list of packages?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraMega
    The "mv ...." command worked...thanks!

    Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the "developer line" in the list of packages?
    The only edit I've done to my /etc/apt/sources.list file is to add the line for developer.linuxtag.net/knoppix.
    This line that you added it is not needed and will cause problems if you start to get packages from it that revert your install to more like the CD it is not a good idea to have it happen. And if you start to have problems with the foomatic filters you may want to check the configurations used in the .backup file you saved.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Bothell, Washington, USA
    Posts
    14
    ah...gotcha. I can't remember where I saw it but while perusing this site and learning about Knoppix and apt-get I thought I saw an item that recommended that I add that url to the file. What I really would like to do now is find the best version of the file optimized for my build (Knoppix 3.3 on hard drive) and my location (North America). How does this one look?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraMega
    ah...gotcha. I can't remember where I saw it but while perusing this site and learning about Knoppix and apt-get I thought I saw an item that recommended that I add that url to the file. What I really would like to do now is find the best version of the file optimized for my build (Knoppix 3.3 on hard drive) and my location (North America). How does this one look?
    Well I do not see any unstable sources for Debian in the file you have the security & testing so are you just planning on running just this instead of the testing/unstable mix that knoppix is? Also the line in there for the KDE sources is not needed you can get KDE 3.1.3/4 in testing now not the 3.1.1-1 you have in there. Another thing I have found is the German mirrors are usually faster I have tried more than a few here in Canada and the US but none of them will max out my DSL line like the Germans so you may want to try them as well and check out your speed with them. One last thing if you ever need to upgrade Xfree86 then you will need a line for the Debian experimential sources, the lines that are in the Knoppix install (but not in your file which is a problem as well) sources.list are now incorrect the packages have moved to the Debian archive. Here's what I have in my sources.list:
    Code:
    [09:40 PM Wed Dec 31: stephen @ ~]
    >$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
    # /etc/apt/sources.list created by me 
    # Security updates
    deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free
    deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
    #deb http://security.debian.org/ unstable/updates main contrib non-free
    
    # Stable
    deb http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
    deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
    
    # Sources
    deb-src http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
    deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
    
    # Testing
    deb http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
    deb http://nonus.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free
    
    # Sources
    deb-src http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://nonus.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free
    
    # Unstable
    deb http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib
    deb http://nonus.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free
    
    # Sources
    deb-src http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://nonus.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free
    
    ## Various Multimedia Helper Apps ##
    deb http://marillat.free.fr/ testing main
    deb http://marillat.free.fr/ unstable main
    
    ## XFree 4.2/4.3
    #deb http://people.debian.org/~branden/packages sid/i386/
    #deb-src http://people.debian.org/~branden/packages sid/source/
    #deb http://www.penguinppc.org/~daniels/sid/i386 ./
    #deb-src http://www.penguinppc.org/~daniels/sid/source ./
    ## Expermential needed for XFree86 4.3 
    deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian ../project/experimental main contrib non-free
    
    ## K3b sources for sarge requires KDE > 3.1.2 from SID for DVD burning
    deb http://www.planet-moll.de/debian sarge main
    
    ## Kio-apt sources for unstable for apt:/ in Konqueror location bar
    deb http://lpnotfr.free.fr/debian/ ./
    
    ## Java Runtime j2re1.4
    #deb ftp://ntama.uni-mainz.de/pub/debian unofficial/

    And one more thing while I thinking about it why are the Libranet lines in there?

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Bothell, Washington, USA
    Posts
    14
    I simply found the file referenced on another page on this forum. Sounds like there really is a lot to consider here when configuring that file. At this point I am only using Knoppix for learning Linux and what it can do, so it's hard to say which lines in the file I need and which ones I don't. Thanks for your help!

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraMega
    I simply found the file referenced on another page on this forum. Sounds like there really is a lot to consider here when configuring that file. At this point I am only using Knoppix for learning Linux and what it can do, so it's hard to say which lines in the file I need and which ones I don't. Thanks for your help!
    That explains it I thought you were trying to use an older file from a Libranet install. The sources.list is really not that complicated you want the fastest mirrors you can get and you only really need the source lines for Debian unless you want packages for programs that are not included for various reasons in the archive itself. Some programs like java and mplayer cannot be included in the archives for legal & liscense reasons so you need lines for them if you want to install. Your probably better off just using the Knoppix default for now until you get a better understanding of what you need for your preferences you want to add like in my file the line for kio-apt which gives a neat little feature for Konqueror put the apt:/ in the location bar and enter then you have a page which can search the sources in your sources.list for packages and figure out their relationships you should give it a try you add the line and apt-get update then apt-get install kio-apt.

Similar Threads

  1. Synaptic "dist-upgrade" Problems...
    By Cuddles in forum General Support
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 10-07-2004, 01:30 AM
  2. "pon" gives "ttyS overrun" after upgrade
    By Al Hayes in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-05-2004, 11:57 AM
  3. "Connection Reset by Peer" or "hang"
    By oreo in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-23-2003, 06:33 PM
  4. "Foreign" drive formats and "dd" command
    By geebee2000 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-21-2003, 07:29 PM
  5. Locate Knoppix "group" in "K" menu
    By Juny in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1 | 32GB PC4-2666V ECC RDIMM Server RAM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1 | 32GB PC4-2666V ECC RDIMM Server RAM

$184.95



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$448.20



x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM picture

x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM

$329.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



HPE 32GB PC4-3200aa ECC 1Rx4 Memory P38519-0A1 P39382-001 HMAA4GR7AJR4N-XN picture

HPE 32GB PC4-3200aa ECC 1Rx4 Memory P38519-0A1 P39382-001 HMAA4GR7AJR4N-XN

$349.99



16GB(2x 8GB) Crucial DDR3L-1600 SODIMM / Lot of 2 8GB / Laptop RAM Memory / A25 picture

16GB(2x 8GB) Crucial DDR3L-1600 SODIMM / Lot of 2 8GB / Laptop RAM Memory / A25

$17.99



(LOT OF 8) M393A8G40BB4-CWE  SAMSUNG 64GB (1X64GB) 2RX4 PC4-3200A SERVER MEMORY picture

(LOT OF 8) M393A8G40BB4-CWE SAMSUNG 64GB (1X64GB) 2RX4 PC4-3200A SERVER MEMORY

$6329.00



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



6 in 1 USB 3.0 Type C Card Reader SD Micro SD TF OTG Memory Adapter Laptop PC US picture

6 in 1 USB 3.0 Type C Card Reader SD Micro SD TF OTG Memory Adapter Laptop PC US

$3.95