-
Junior Member
registered user
Some trouble with Kernel 2.6 and ext3
Hi,
It happens very often what i am working with running kernel 2.6 and suddenly when i am opening the konqueror or any other file browser i get an error that says the filesystem is mounted read-only.
But 5 Minutes ago it worked. I then cant even shutdown any more because i only get something like:
ext3 error: filesystem is read-only.
What could this cause. Is there any known bug?
My Hardware:
HD: Western Digital wd1200jb
Promise 20265/20276 Chip
-
Junior Member
registered user
It seems not like it is a bug.
But i noticed the following then running an apt-get upgrade from console:
hda: read_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekCompleteError}
hda: read_intr: status=0x10 { SectorIdNotFound} LBAsect=234404853
But i only get in kernel 2.6
Is there any connection between this two problems?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Some trouble with Kernel 2.6 and ext3

Originally Posted by
debi
Hi,
It happens very often what i am working with running kernel 2.6 and suddenly when i am opening the konqueror or any other file browser i get an error that says the filesystem is mounted read-only.
But 5 Minutes ago it worked. I then cant even shutdown any more because i only get something like:
ext3 error: filesystem is read-only.
What could this cause. Is there any known bug?
My Hardware:
HD: Western Digital wd1200jb
Promise 20265/20276 Chip
I never seen anything like that when using 2.6 on my testing drive which has ext3, on my "regular" install I use reiser on and I noticed a couple of problems with the dma I have the same drive as you for this one and the speed on the drive was about 30mb/sec whereas with 2.4.23 it is 55mb/sec and the sound with alsa has some weird skips in it when I switch desktops or resize windows in an application and with konqueror pages that will load fine in 2.4.23 will not load with 2.6 so I think there is some kind of strange problem with 2.6 final. Your post below the first line looks like the error you get when the drive is having problems with the dma I'm not sure about the second. I solved the problems by going back to the working 2.4.23 I have and have no problems with that kernel. This post is not much help for your problem other than that I have seen some problems that I can track to the 2.6 as well.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Until i cant solve that problem i am using 2.4.23. But 2.6 is really faster in starting applications and the normal working.
But the weird is i tested also the speed of the harddisk and i get 46 mb/sec in 2.4 but only 3mb/sec in 2.6. That would be a little slow.
Similar Threads
-
By Forcemaster in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-06-2004, 01:27 PM
-
By jtsai256 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 9
Last Post: 07-13-2004, 01:59 AM
-
By Tiger in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 12-31-2003, 03:49 AM
-
By andrei in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-31-2003, 08:16 PM
-
By bb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-28-2003, 06:29 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

Lenovo 00YK615 Intel X710-DA2 10GbE 2-port SFP+ PCI-E FC Network Adapter NIC
$27.99

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver
$30.00

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED
$24.99