Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Scanner Issues

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3

    Scanner Issues

    I hooked up my USB scanner (Canon FB630U) two weeks ago and it worked flawlessly on an HD Install which dates from the 11/14 release.

    Today I tried scanning, when I select the scanner... it doesn't initialize and XSane, Kooka, etc... all lock up when I click preview or scan.

    I thought perhaps the issue might have been the cable cleanup I did last week after Christmas, so I made sure everything was hooked up... I tested the scanner in Windows (no issues), and then tested it using Knoppix from CD (no issues, works fine).

    I'm at my wits end. I need to use my scanner under the HD Install... but there is no way I'm going to do another HD Install. I wouldn't mind so much if the Nvidia Drivers which Knoppix included were up to date and worked with my videocard (GeForce 4 440 MX), but they aren't and I do not want to have to go through pulling the teeth out of my head again to install the drivers from Nvidia. Doing a new HD Install everytime something odd happens is way too much like using Windows for me anyway.

    Anyway, back on topic...

    I'm assuming the reason the scanner isn't working is due to an issue with USB not recognizing it... but Xsane and the other apps autodetect it fine... everything else which I have that is USB works fine (game controller, laser printer, USB hub, etc...).

    I've not installed anything new, or made any configuration changes since the last time it worked...

    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Scanner Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bun
    I hooked up my USB scanner (Canon FB630U) two weeks ago and it worked flawlessly on an HD Install which dates from the 11/14 release.

    Today I tried scanning, when I select the scanner... it doesn't initialize and XSane, Kooka, etc... all lock up when I click preview or scan.

    I thought perhaps the issue might have been the cable cleanup I did last week after Christmas, so I made sure everything was hooked up... I tested the scanner in Windows (no issues), and then tested it using Knoppix from CD (no issues, works fine).

    I'm at my wits end. I need to use my scanner under the HD Install... but there is no way I'm going to do another HD Install. I wouldn't mind so much if the Nvidia Drivers which Knoppix included were up to date and worked with my videocard (GeForce 4 440 MX), but they aren't and I do not want to have to go through pulling the teeth out of my head again to install the drivers from Nvidia. Doing a new HD Install everytime something odd happens is way too much like using Windows for me anyway.

    Anyway, back on topic...

    I'm assuming the reason the scanner isn't working is due to an issue with USB not recognizing it... but Xsane and the other apps autodetect it fine... everything else which I have that is USB works fine (game controller, laser printer, USB hub, etc...).

    I've not installed anything new, or made any configuration changes since the last time it worked...

    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    You may want to look at this thread and the post by CivilEng. I checked on my extra machine that has the latest knoppix on it and there is a file there for your scanner and the /dev/usb/scanner0 line is commented out the is no option connect-device in it so you may want to add that line. What problems are you having with the video card I have the same card and it always worked fine with knoppix out of the box so to speak.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3
    Stephen,

    Thanks. Much appreciated, I'll check that thread out.

    I've had no issues with Knoppix out of the box other than that the generic driver for nvidia is just that, generic... Some features I want to use are only supplied by a newer nvidia driver. Maybe Klaus will include it in future versions. Plus, in even a short amount of time I've had the current install I've gotten most things sorted out comfortably and am not in a rush to reinstall if I can help it.

    I've been thrilled with Knoppix since I started using it early in 2003... but I'm still a newb with alot to learn. I try to research any issues I've had thoroughly before asking for help. With the most recent install this is the first and only issue I've had. My laser printer works like a charm (Samsung ML-1710).. and the scanner did too until today.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3
    Stephen...

    That thread and the information to uncomment /dev/usb/scanner0 and add option connect-device in it to canon630u.conf did the trick! Awesome!

    Why the scanner worked before and then stopped working I have no idea.. but it works again, and I know a little more about Linux/Knoppix.

    Thanks so much. The user community and the way everyone supports each other is one of the things I love about Linux/Knoppix!

    --->

    In case anyone else should have issues with a Canon FB630U scanner, this is how the content of my canon630u.conf file in /etc/sane.d reads now:

    # Options for the canonusb backend

    # Autodetect the Canon CanoScan FB630u
    usb 0x04a9 0x2204

    # device list for non-linux-systems (enable if autodetect fails):
    #/dev/scanner
    /dev/usb/scanner0
    option connect-device

Similar Threads

  1. Scanner
    By jjbergdolt in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-16-2005, 01:23 PM
  2. Scanner???
    By wikid009 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-07-2004, 10:13 PM
  3. usb scanner
    By jackren in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-01-2003, 07:02 PM
  4. IBM Scanner
    By Cronos55 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-22-2003, 05:37 AM
  5. Scanner
    By mwalam in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-11-2003, 05:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen picture

MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$81.99



ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU

$45.00



Asus ROG Strix B460-H LGA 1200 ATX Intel 10th Gen DDR4 Motherboard picture

Asus ROG Strix B460-H LGA 1200 ATX Intel 10th Gen DDR4 Motherboard

$84.99