Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: KnoppixKDE

  1. #21

    Re: KnoppixKDE

    Bugzilla is when it comes to the point the defacto linux bug system.
    Just for your information. Bugzilla can - somewhat easily - be put on top of knoppix 3.1. Just made a Knoppix remastering with Bugzilla 2.16.2 on top and this runs fine (thanks to all on this site and the linuxtag knoppix-site!).
    I plan to find a webpage for this special 'Knopzilla' version.

    Quote Originally Posted by eadz
    This is a KnoppixKDE edition. It is to demonstrade the coolness of KDE 3.1. This is to promote kde, and I'm interested in feedback. There are 2 known bugs, 1 is the X cursor, and the other is not all apps are in the menus. Try running kappfinder.

    ok, I have a mirror now :
    http://ktown.kde.org/~dirk/knoppixkde/

    *features
    cool fbb boot screen
    kde 3.1 with every app thats been packaged
    full kde dev environment
    there are apps that were on knoppix but are not on this edition, it is pretty much just kde + kde apps
    it also has a memtest boot cheatcode
    457Mb

    you may report bugs about this remaster on http://www.knoppix.net/bugs/ under KnoppixKDE. Yes it's a new bug system. Yes it's slow ( damn perl ), I'm working on it. You may also report bugs on knoppix on this bugtracker ( Klaus wanted a bugzilla ). I need new hardware to make it faster.

    Wiki page : http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixKDE

  2. #22
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818

    Re: KnoppixKDE

    Quote Originally Posted by knoppixuser42
    Bugzilla is when it comes to the point the defacto linux bug system.
    Just for your information. Bugzilla can - somewhat easily - be put on top of knoppix 3.1. Just made a Knoppix remastering with Bugzilla 2.16.2 on top and this runs fine (thanks to all on this site and the linuxtag knoppix-site!).
    I plan to find a webpage for this special 'Knopzilla' version.

    Quote Originally Posted by eadz
    you may report bugs about this remaster on http://www.knoppix.net/bugs/ under KnoppixKDE. Yes it's a new bug system. Yes it's slow ( damn perl ), I'm working on it. You may also report bugs on knoppix on this bugtracker ( Klaus wanted a bugzilla ). I need new hardware to make it faster.

    Wiki page : http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixKDE
    Why would you want a CD with bugzilla on it? .... it's for a website!

  3. #23

    Re: KnoppixKDE

    Yes, you're right, running a website from Knoppix is not really the optimal idea.

    However when you got it running/integrated first on the Knoppix CD, you have got a true, but slow yes, working-demo and any serious webserver installations (if you want that) can successively in theory be made with hdinstall scripts.

    IMO this 'pattern' counts for other somewhat-hard-to-install-for-newbies (web)tools. I can think of - and read from this site - many applications being 'sold' via a Knoppix demo

    Quote Originally Posted by eadz
    Quote Originally Posted by knoppixuser42
    Bugzilla is when it comes to the point the defacto linux bug system.
    Just for your information. Bugzilla can - somewhat easily - be put on top of knoppix 3.1. Just made a Knoppix remastering with Bugzilla 2.16.2 on top and this runs fine (thanks to all on this site and the linuxtag knoppix-site!).
    I plan to find a webpage for this special 'Knopzilla' version.

    Quote Originally Posted by eadz
    you may report bugs about this remaster on http://www.knoppix.net/bugs/ under KnoppixKDE. Yes it's a new bug system. Yes it's slow ( damn perl ), I'm working on it. You may also report bugs on knoppix on this bugtracker ( Klaus wanted a bugzilla ). I need new hardware to make it faster.

    Wiki page : http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixKDE
    Why would you want a CD with bugzilla on it? .... it's for a website!

  4. #24
    ok, so I got the new version of knx-hdinstall and everything went smoothly.

    However, I tried to install the latest nvidia video drivers and ran into trouble (I'm a newbie).

    How do I get the proper "kernel-headers" package for this distro? I didn't see any packages listed for version 2.4.19-kkde using apt-get...there is 2.4.19-k7, will that work (i'm running an Athlon)?

    Thanks!

  5. #25
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by WankelWannabe
    However, I tried to install the latest nvidia video drivers and ran into trouble (I'm a newbie).

    How do I get the proper "kernel-headers" package for this distro? I didn't see any packages listed for version 2.4.19-kkde using apt-get...there is 2.4.19-k7, will that work (i'm running an Athlon)?
    Hm... the kernel is one that I compiled, and I didn't make a kernel-headers package.. doh! it's just 2.4.19 with one patch ( the suse framebuffer ) but that probally doesn't help you much. Try compiling it for just plain kernel-headers-2.4.19, you may get errors, but give it a shot. When you modprobe the module, there should be a force option that will force it to load in the wrong version.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by eadz
    Hm... the kernel is one that I compiled, and I didn't make a kernel-headers package.. doh! it's just 2.4.19 with one patch ( the suse framebuffer ) but that probally doesn't help you much. Try compiling it for just plain kernel-headers-2.4.19, you may get errors, but give it a shot. When you modprobe the module, there should be a force option that will force it to load in the wrong version.
    Ok, I'll try that. Thanks!

    On a similar note, how can I update the kernel? Can I use apt-get, or do I have to compile from source? The only linux experience I have is with RH 8.0 and updating the kernel was pretty automatic...but, I much prefer Knoppix as it seems to runs WAY faster than RH8.0. And the KDE 3.1 stuff is dead-sexy!

  7. #27
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by WankelWannabe
    Quote Originally Posted by eadz
    Hm... the kernel is one that I compiled, and I didn't make a kernel-headers package.. doh! it's just 2.4.19 with one patch ( the suse framebuffer ) but that probally doesn't help you much. Try compiling it for just plain kernel-headers-2.4.19, you may get errors, but give it a shot. When you modprobe the module, there should be a force option that will force it to load in the wrong version.
    Ok, I'll try that. Thanks!

    On a similar note, how can I update the kernel? Can I use apt-get, or do I have to compile from source? The only linux experience I have is with RH 8.0 and updating the kernel was pretty automatic...but, I much prefer Knoppix as it seems to runs WAY faster than RH8.0. And the KDE 3.1 stuff is dead-sexy!

    It's possable to update the kernel using apt-get, that would also solve your "no headers" problem.

  8. #28
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    42.3° N 122.9° W
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by eadz
    Quote Originally Posted by audioaficionado
    There were a few choices there at the site. Which file would you recommend to get on a floppy to boot to the CD boot files? How would I configure it on a floppy to make it go to the CD boot files on your compilation?
    download the latest sbminst, and when running it ( it's a binary so you run it like
    ./smbinst as root)
    and look for the "where to install it" option, install it to floppy (/dev/fd0)

    3.7 release 1
    sbminst-static (Linux binary, static)
    Or
    sbminst (Linux binary, glibc)

    Once installed to the floppy, how did you set it up to start the CD boot? What file on your CD starts the boot?

  9. #29
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by audioaficionado
    3.7 release 1
    sbminst-static (Linux binary, static)
    Or
    sbminst (Linux binary, glibc)
    either one should work.

    Once installed to the floppy, how did you set it up to start the CD boot? What file on your CD starts the boot?
    It just boots a bootable cd. When you boot off the floppy you'll be given a menu, and you just press down, select CDROM and press enter.

  10. #30
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    42.3° N 122.9° W
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by eadz
    either one should work.

    It just boots a bootable cd. When you boot off the floppy you'll be given a menu, and you just press down, select CDROM and press enter.
    I'll make one for Linux and another for DOS.

    Thanx.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. KnoppixKDE Review
    By aay in forum News
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-20-2003, 07:32 AM
  2. KnoppixKDE Dead?
    By bongski55 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-31-2003, 04:42 PM
  3. knoppixkde
    By vasfi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2003, 06:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$488.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00