Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 42 of 42

Thread: KnoppixKDE

  1. #41
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Try here.

  2. #42
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Quote Originally Posted by monkymind
    Have you tried booting the CD with Smart Boot Manager http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/ Someone on this board mentioned it a while back and I now use it extensively for booting CDs on old PCs.

    BTW you can use it on a floppy or install it on the HD
    Yes, I recently rediscovered this neet little boot manager. Now I use it from a boot floppy as its faster than the kernel based one (looks for vmlinuz and miniroot.gz on the CD, not on the floppy - speeds up boot). But you mention that you use this from the hdd? I'm curious, how do you do this and what benefit do you get from this?

    On a related topic: I have my students boot the compressed KNOPPIX image file from hda1 on a WONDOZE partition using the slow boot floppy. Is there any way to speed booting the image from the hdd? Maybe I could partition about 1GB, call it hda2, and use the fast boot disk to boot that? 1GB should be big enough as the image file is about 695MB - would a 700MB partition be enough?

    I think that http://btmgr.sf.net can boot from any bootable partition you tell it to look for. I'm using this method to boot my MORPHIX CDs now. Its very quick, that's how I rediscovered this little gem (see http://www.morphix.org). I think I reviewed btmgr months ago for use with KNOPPIX and found it a bit buggy then, but its very nice now. Well, I've been using the version on http://www.morphix.org, is that different from the one on http://btmgr.sf.net?

    BTW, the powers that be at my school do not want me setting up a dual boot situtaion, ie: knx-hdinstall and lilo are out. The KNOPPIX boot floppy is OK (to boot the CD or from /mnt/hda1/knoppix), the MORPHIX boot floppy is OK (to boot CD) and loadlin is OK, but that's about it! BTW, what they don't know won't hurt me. So if I have to make a 1GB partition, I will. But, I'm sure they don't want me doing that either, so if I could do this without partitioning, let me know!

    Frustrated Teacher,

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Similar Threads

  1. KnoppixKDE Review
    By aay in forum News
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-20-2003, 07:32 AM
  2. KnoppixKDE Dead?
    By bongski55 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-31-2003, 04:42 PM
  3. knoppixkde
    By vasfi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2003, 06:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$49.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK picture

SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK

$169.95



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99