-
Senior Member
registered user
KnoppixKDE
This is a KnoppixKDE edition. It is to demonstrade the coolness of KDE 3.1. This is to promote kde, and I'm interested in feedback. There are 2 known bugs, 1 is the X cursor, and the other is not all apps are in the menus. Try running kappfinder.
ok, I have a mirror now :
http://ktown.kde.org/~dirk/knoppixkde/
*features
cool fbb boot screen
kde 3.1 with every app thats been packaged
full kde dev environment
there are apps that were on knoppix but are not on this edition, it is pretty much just kde + kde apps
it also has a memtest boot cheatcode 
457Mb
you may report bugs about this remaster on http://www.knoppix.net/bugs/ under KnoppixKDE. Yes it's a new bug system. Yes it's slow ( damn perl ), I'm working on it. You may also report bugs on knoppix on this bugtracker ( Klaus wanted a bugzilla ). I need new hardware to make it faster.
Wiki page : http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixKDE
-
Senior Member
registered user
Will the PH scripting still work with this release?
HD install?
Thanx for getting it out so fast.
-
Senior Member
registered user
it has built in persistant home,
as for hd-install, i don't know
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thanx even more.
I'm DLing and I'll have it burned within an hour.
-
-
Senior Member
registered user
I got it burned after 3 coasters.
Nero & w2k kept burning a ISO image on the CD. To top it off, after I took the coaster out of the burner and put in blank media, the ISO image on the CD drive icon and open drive window showed the ISO. I could even open it with Winimage and look at the Knoppix files. Something is screwy in St Louie. So I just extracted the files out of the KnoppixKDE ISO and used them to burn the CD. I boot with a floppy anyway. Windows needed a reboot, so I booted into Knoppix instead.
I'm on Knoppix/KDE3.1 now. My only compaint is that my M$ Explorer Trackball wheel mouse is jerky when I move it. It's not jerky in the earlier Knoopix CD (12-12-02) I have. I tried to adjust it in KDE mouse config menu but I can't get it to smooth out. The wheel works fine (F2: knoppix wheelmouse)
It's quite a bit differant and I'll get used to it (except the jerky mouse).
So far so good.
Thanx eadz
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
audioaficionado
I boot with a floppy anyway.
there is no boot floppy. this version cannot boot from a boot floppy. If you are using a boot floppy from another version - the modules won't work, and you will not see the boot up sequence.
Try a slower speed?
-
Senior Member
registered user
I don't like to disagree with the guy who put this together, but maybe you're mistaken this time.
My machine won't boot from a CD. Its bios simply won't support that option. It's either the floppy or the HD.
I went into the 'isolinux' folder and grabbed the 'knoppix-orig-boot.img' and used winimage to write the boot floppy. I was able to use the F2 option to enable my wheelmouse. I also noticed that the F2 menu was differant. Less desktop choices was the most noticable, just as you said in your earlier post. I'll see how PH works when I close this first session down later.
I wouldn't be here writing this is if that boot floppy didn't work.
BTW I finally got my mouse to behave.
However I've still have the nVidia & KDE screen saver not working problem I had with KDE3. I know it's a KDE issue, not anything you could do about it.
This KDE3.1 seems a little heavier on my system compared to KDE3. No biggie though.
__________________________________________________ _
Edit: Hmmm... Maybe I'm mistaken.
I guess I got the regular 1.44Mb floppy boot image you included as I couldn't load all the SuSE framebuffer on a floppy. I still see KDE3.1 and the differant menu with less visible options as warned. Could the boot process be split into 2 floppies so us guys with the older HW can enjoy that SuSE boot too?
It still boots into the CD from the floppy and that's the bottom line for me.
Other than the fancy boot graphics, what else won't the standard floppy boot do?
What apps don't load? Can they be loaded after boot?
Great job putting this together eadz
-

Originally Posted by
audioaficionado
My machine won't boot from a CD. Its bios simply won't support that option. It's either the floppy or the HD.
Have you tried booting the CD with Smart Boot Manager
http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/
Someone on this board mentioned it a while back and I now use it extensively for booting CDs on old PCs. 
BTW you can use it on a floppy or install it on the HD
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
monkymind

Originally Posted by
audioaficionado
My machine won't boot from a CD. Its bios simply won't support that option. It's either the floppy or the HD.
Have you tried booting the CD with Smart Boot Manager
http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/
Someone on this board mentioned it a while back and I now use it extensively for booting CDs on old PCs.
BTW you can use it on a floppy or install it on the HD
Yes! use this! my laptop wont boot from cd so I use this and it works great.
Similar Threads
-
Replies: 16
Last Post: 06-20-2003, 07:32 AM
-
By bongski55 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-31-2003, 04:42 PM
-
By vasfi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-03-2003, 06:17 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$488.00

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge R740 E38S001 Server E38S
$660.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$169.99