Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: MiniKnoppix 2.0 - Almost Perfect, But...

  1. #1

    MiniKnoppix 2.0 - Almost Perfect, But...

    I am looking to use a Mini 200MB disk livecd for use when I am away from home and general purpose internet apps like email and net browsing. I have spent most of the day downloading various "mini" versions of Knoppix and am quite pleased with MiniKnoppix 2.0 with the exception that it does not include KMail.

    I have tried Slax, which the author says kmail is included on the CD but can't be found; a promising option would have been the Linux Magazine distro but there is nothing but a FAQ available on their site and no download to be found anywhere on the net; Damn Small, Flonix, Morphix Combined Lite GUI, MiniCD and a few others. So far, other than a few of the distros having issues booting correctly none include the combination of KDE, KMail, and Konqueror.

    Are there ANY distros that include this combination of software under 200MBs?

    I am not a programmer, am a linux newbie, and do not yet grasp the concept of making customizations and remastering.

    Any advice would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    79

    Re: MiniKnoppix 2.0 - Almost Perfect, But...

    Quote Originally Posted by HateSpitLove
    I am looking to use a Mini 200MB disk livecd for use when I am away from home and general purpose internet apps like email and net browsing. I have spent most of the day downloading various "mini" versions of Knoppix and am quite pleased with MiniKnoppix 2.0 with the exception that it does not include KMail.

    I have tried Slax, which the author says kmail is included on the CD but can't be found;

    Are there ANY distros that include this combination of software under 200MBs?
    .
    Try the previous version of Slax, it has kmail etc :-
    http://files.linuxforum.com/d1/live-...e-2.9.0.22.iso

    regards
    rob

  3. #3
    Thanx! I'll check it out.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    au
    Posts
    22
    try " damn small linux" its 50 meg and runs fast from : damnsmalllinux.org

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Kurumin is around 200mb and has KDE so it would probably have kmail. Language cheatcodes entered at boot-time might let you run it in English. Or maybe someone has made an English-only version of it...

  6. #6
    I did try Damn Small but it does not have both a KDE and KMail interface (either that or it had incompatibilities with my system--can't remember which now). Unfortunately Kurumin is Brazilian and the interface is entirely in Portugese, although from what I could tell, Kurumin had these features.

    I checked out the older version of Slax and it works perfectly, with the addition of a multiprotocol instant messenger client. Thanks to all for the advice.

  7. #7

    there was a linux journal article about mini distros

    To the list;
    There was a article in linux journal about this topic. It was called the Ultimate but small linux box.
    I think it was the Sept. 2002 issue.

    let me know

    thanks again

    [email protected]

    ********************************

  8. #8

    there was a linux journal article about mini distros

    To the list;
    There was a article in linux journal about this topic. It was called the Ultimate but small linux box.
    I think it was the Sept. 2002 issue.

    let me know

    thanks again

    [email protected]

    ********************************

  9. #9
    Not sure what you mean...was there a title to your reply that provided necessary info?

  10. #10
    "Language cheatcodes entered at boot-time might let you run it in English."

    Eerk! I missed this part. I'll check it out.

    Update: Didn't work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Die the perfect kill-9?
    By Seyyapc in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-05-2005, 10:02 PM
  2. miniknoppix would not boot!
    By wuya in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-04-2005, 05:19 AM
  3. How can I load miniknoppix using CDWizard none Joiet CD
    By peter2cfu in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-21-2004, 10:21 PM
  4. Perfect Linux box
    By m0rpheus in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-30-2003, 01:56 AM
  5. Knoppix a base for perfect Newbie Linux ?!
    By MichielioZ in forum Ideas
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-17-2003, 05:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 8 GT/s LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SR3QS picture

Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 8 GT/s LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SR3QS

$67.99



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6 picture

Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6

$10.99



Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested* picture

Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested*

$32.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor

$62.95



Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor

$14.49



Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD picture

Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD

$27.99



AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad picture

AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad

$355.99