Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: New SYS, unstable issues - where to turn? (resolved)

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338

    New SYS, unstable issues - where to turn? (resolved)

    This is a "cross-post" from the HARDWARE forum, since the modem is not the issue now, the new system is...

    [included post]
    Its going back to the store... I spent $40 more than a standard "winmodem" with the promise that this was a "standard" modem. So, tomorrow its going back, and this time an external serial modem is taking its place.

    BTW - since installing 3.3, i've started to get crashes, Crash Guard within KDE yells about something causing a crash, and that "something" is sending "signals" to software to have them shutdown - first time is was lib[something]c++ - and all I was doing was viewing the KMenu - nothing running. The next time I was playing Penguin Solitaire, and some service sent a sigsys[something] that signals software/services to abort.

    I since blew away 3.3, and went back to 3.2 - but that too is having similar problems. I can be logged in as Root, do anything, or nothing, and the system goes to black screen and causes the user to be logged out, and the LOGIN screen appears - = - I think my new system has some serious problems. Either processor, memory, hard drive, or installed OS issues. Could be on-motherboard issues, or even the motherboard itself....

    Oh well, so much for a nice start of the year...


    Anyone have any clues as to what could be causing this? I sat and watched the install of 3.3, and many times cloop would report that it was unable to uncompress the files during the "copying files" - on the last, 3.2 install, I watched the "copy" and nothing came across bad, but the same CD did require doing the HDInstall twice, before it read without copy problems. The CD-ROM shows "mild" marks on it, but, the errors in copy are not consistantly happening, either in the same place, or all the time. I am seriously wondering that I have purchased a $600 lemon system.

    Any help is EXTREMELY helpful, since I have an unstable system, and dont know where to turn for resolve. i.e. taking it back to the store, where do I start????
    Thanks,
    Cuddles

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Just got another one of those errors: [different program/service, but same problem]

    KDE Panel - The KDE Crash Handler
    Short Description
    The application KDE Panel (kicker) crashed and caused the signal 11 (SIGSEGV)
    What is this?
    An application mostly receives the SIGSEGV signal due to a bug in the application. The application was asked to save its documents.
    What can I do?
    You might want to send a bug report to the author...

    This is almost happening on ANY application, and without reason.

    Help...
    Cuddles

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Post specific hardware details.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    Running memtest86 overnight is a good idea when you suspect
    memory problems. Get it here:
    http://www.memtest86.com/

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Thanks to both Windos_No_Thanks and Rickenbacherus, it was memory. The store put in miss-matched memory to get me going, and when I took the puter back, he just popped out the "flacky" chips - he has matched chips on order, but thought this could tied me over till then...

    AND -=- I got me a external HARDWARE modem, tied right off my serial port - ran perfectly the first time, I pointed KPPP over to ttyS0 and it worked perfectly - so I did a ln -sf /dev/ttyS0 /dev/modem -=- and now I am ONLINE with my new system and my new modem ! ! ! ! ! ! !

    [Cuddles is doin the HAPPY DANCE

    Thanks again you too, I am so happy - I am probably going to leave Knoppix 3.2 on the system for a few days, beat the system, and then do a fresh install of Knoppix 3.3 I AM SO HAPPY !

    Cuddles

Similar Threads

  1. I can't turn down the volume
    By will103 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-01-2005, 10:36 PM
  2. trying to turn off ALSA
    By redss in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-04-2005, 07:45 PM
  3. Apt-Get Upgrade Issues... (resolved)
    By Cuddles in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-27-2004, 05:31 AM
  4. Turn Off Yet APM/APCI ?
    By beforewisdom in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-26-2003, 11:15 AM
  5. TURN THAT CR*P DOWN!!!!!! - KDE Volume control?
    By j.drake in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-11-2003, 07:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Yealink SIP-T44W VoIP Phone 12-Line Gigabit Speakerphone RJ-45 Gray/Black picture

Yealink SIP-T44W VoIP Phone 12-Line Gigabit Speakerphone RJ-45 Gray/Black

$44.00



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



5 Allworx Verge 9312 VoIP IP Phone 12-Line Speakerphone Black RJ-45 MPN 8113120 picture

5 Allworx Verge 9312 VoIP IP Phone 12-Line Speakerphone Black RJ-45 MPN 8113120

$999.00



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included picture

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included

$27.99