Hi Jan,

I certainly aggree with the other replys here here. I have addtional comments also

- M$ does not really ask people seriously whether they want a feature before they put it in.
Knoppix - like most other Linux' - is initiated/maintained by phorums like this.
If a new Linux/Knoppix-feature is not necessarily good for all a bunch of Knoppix freaks will surely tell the inventor before he push the 'go-button'. They are not only in it for the money so they speak freely.

- The idea of a steep Knoppix learning curve (e.g. M$-XP versus Knoppix) is somewhat exaggerated. If you are not going to modify the inner parts of Knoppix you dont need more skills for operating Knoppix than the ones you need to operate XP.

Example: My mother-in-law has never 'learned' Windows. She started with Mac and now she operates a Red Hat Linux box running KDE (the same windows interface as in Knoppix). She does not need the command prompt to operate at all!

On the other hand: You have the means to repair/fix Knoppix right here in this site if there is something in Knoppix you dont like. This requires about the same skills as repairing Windows I assume, but I dont know for sure since the M$ code is not published...



Quote Originally Posted by jan.tw
Hi,

can you tell me the advantages and disadvantages of Knoppix compared to Windows. And what's different to Linux.

Because I think about using Knoppix but I don't know.

Thanks

Jan