I'm not aware of any windoze stuff that can read the cloop compressed stuff from the CD (might be possible if you have cygwin installed but even so probably tricky) so you probably have to find some way boot the live Knoppix somehow first.
I have a laptop that does not have a bootable device other than the HD. Currently windoes is running on the PC. I'm trying to come up with a way to install the full version to the HD without booting into Knoppix or using a floppy. I do have the ability to create separate partitions in windows and have a USB CD rom (it doesn't boot) that I can using while windows is running.
I'm not aware of any windoze stuff that can read the cloop compressed stuff from the CD (might be possible if you have cygwin installed but even so probably tricky) so you probably have to find some way boot the live Knoppix somehow first.
If you are connected to a lan you can try to install it over the network.
There should be a way
Hi I did this already as my laptop (Sharp Actius A290) also doesn't have a cdrom (its a sub-note)
What I did to install was:
1: Find a pc with a cdrom drive and boot the knoppix cd
2: connect the laptop to a crossover cable, and the other side to the pc
3: once knoppix has loaded, turn on the terminal services feature
4: boot the laptop, set the bios to boot from network, if your bios doesn't
support this, simply get a boot rom on floppy from
www.rom-o-matic.net
Once the laptop boots, you should have a fully working knoppix from the cdrom running on the pc, then you can just run the install scripts and away you go.
Bam, an installed OS without using a local cd.
Cheers,
One
In 2004, I wish people requesting help will start taking the time to detail their situation and goal![]()
If you'te under win9x/ME and your C: drive is fat, you can copy a knoppix boot diskette to some directory and start the kernel via loadlin. Knoppix should then boot as if from diskette/cd, and you can install as usual. Obviously if you have no other bootable device than your HD, you'll have to be extra careful when installing lilo.
Yes! I'll have to try this when I get home. I was getting worried because my Sharp UM30 wouldn't boot from the CD, it kept complaining about "operating system not found, booting to (limited) command line". If I can boot off of a network and then install onto the laptop from there, that makes my life a whole lot happier. Here's hoping it works, and the CD drive, not the laptop, was the problem.

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00
Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested)
$39.00