Well after a couple of days serching on the net which came up with no answers, I just had to ask (I'm sure I was using the wrong keywords but don't know any better): I've installed Knoppix on my HD the hard way (only later did I realize that hdinstall was on the CD). The problem is I can't get the append options to work, and I can't change window managers (where I'd sometimes only like to use the console but it starts KDE ends KDE).
Note that *can't* refers to my lack of knowledge and experience, and not a problem with the system.
I'd appretiate any and all pointers, advice etc.![]()

Vintage Compaq Contura Aero Base Unit Dock 190567-001 with Original Box Manual
$129.99
Compaq Presario 1640 Laptop HP 2940A Vintage Computer, Power Supply and mouse
$159.95
Vintage Ampex Chip Boards Memory Processor Other
$299.99
Vintage HP-85A Series 80 Computer Hewlett Packard Working Powers On + Case RAM
$275.00
New Vintage PC ALPS Glidepoint Keyboard Touchpad MGL Series
$179.95
Rare Vintage VideoBrain 101 Family Computer Umtech POWERS ON RARE AS IS 517BK3
$2400.00
ProComm Plus for Windows Datastorm 1994 Complete Box 3.5" Disks Manuals Vintage
$39.49
IBM 6580 Possible Displaywriter Card 2684506A1147XL Quality Vintage 81 Date Code
$74.00
Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00
$199.99
Apple Studio Display Monitor CRT 17" Clear Vintage Untested READ BROKEN STAND
$300.00