Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Installing to USB drive

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1

    Installing to USB drive

    I am trying to install Damn Small Linux to a USB key drive, I have searched through the forum and couldn't find anything about how to finish the process. I have extracted the iso to the USB drive, and have used syslinux, and read the page about how toBoot KNOPPIX from an USB Memory Stick page (http://rz-obrian.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/knoppix-usb/), what I am trying to figure out is how to create the miniroot file from windows? And what else I need to boot to the USB drive? My Dell laptop has the boot option but all I get now is no OS found.

    Do I need to burn the image to a cd and boot the OS and then follow the instructions or is there a way to do it from windows?

    I apologize if this is a repeat, I did search and didn't find anything relevant.

    Any information would be greatly appreciated.

    John

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    PA, US
    Posts
    6

    Just Use Flonix

    http://linuxdocs.tuxfamily.org/flonix/index.php

    I had the same problem, use flonix instead. I use a floppy to boot my usb, but it can boot directly if your bios support it. Some dells require a bios update even though they are listed in the setup boot options. So check for bios update or just use floppy. Hope this helps you out.

    Regards,

    Aeros

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    1
    Hi johncv,

    Here are some posts on the DSL Forum to get you started:

    Pendrive geometry (to verify it is set up correctly for usb-booting)
    http://damnsmalllinux.org/cgi-bin/fo...ST;f=17;t=3949

    Here's a link on prepping the drive after that. Look more towards the end of the thread for more recent information.
    http://damnsmalllinux.org/cgi-bin/fo...ST;f=17;t=3061

    and lastly here's a quick note on how to get 5-way boot working.
    http://damnsmalllinux.org/cgi-bin/fo...ST;f=11;t=4034

    You can find more information on embedded DSL in the Embedded DSL portion of the forum as well.

    Hope this helps. I'm still fairly new myself or I would provide the actual steps for you. Note: the usb stick page you referenced in your post is fairly old and the more recent information on the DSL forum should be of more help.

Similar Threads

  1. Installing on a second HDD drive
    By Khufu in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-19-2005, 05:37 PM
  2. Installing via a usb cd-drive
    By Manstein in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-03-2005, 09:34 AM
  3. Installing to external drive
    By Aldago in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-13-2005, 09:45 PM
  4. installing to a bootable usb drive
    By user317 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-26-2005, 08:38 AM
  5. Can i use knoppix of a hard drive.? Without Installing.
    By stupidkid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2003, 06:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor picture

Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor

$79.00



Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHZ  picture

Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHZ

$18.00



Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6 picture

Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6

$14.99



Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU picture

Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU

$79.99



Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13  3.0 GHz  Desktop CPU picture

Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13 3.0 GHz Desktop CPU

$80.00



Matched Pair _ Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.2GHz 20-Core Processor CPU LGA2011 SR2JW picture

Matched Pair _ Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.2GHz 20-Core Processor CPU LGA2011 SR2JW

$94.99



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 CPU 2.20GHz 22-Core 55MB 145W LGA2011-3 SR2JV Processor picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 CPU 2.20GHz 22-Core 55MB 145W LGA2011-3 SR2JV Processor

$79.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



Intel Core i5-4590 Processor (3.3 GHz, 4 Cores, LGA 1150) - SR1QJ picture

Intel Core i5-4590 Processor (3.3 GHz, 4 Cores, LGA 1150) - SR1QJ

$12.90