-
What should I use for my Window Manager?
I have a few questions:
What should I use for my window manager? I'm running a Pentium3 400Mhz 384Ram, Knoppix finds all my ahrdware and everything it's installed on my HD... I don't know what I should use, KDE seems the best for my and I tried a few others likr iceWM, I want to know what one is the best for a Linux noobie?
I'm on windows right now on my gaming PC, but when I'm on knoppix I have to xkill alot sometimes programs won't start and I have to xkill Gaim alot, I would use other Distros but for some odd reason only Knoppix works on that PC, I ttried Redhat 9, mandrake 9.1, Fedora, and Slackware.... They all had some error booting so I switched to knoppix and installed on my HD
I don't know what the problem is:
-
Senior Member
registered user
I like KDE best and run it on slower PCs than that one.
-
Yes but KDE runs slow on my 400Mhz p3
-
Well, then try xfce or fluxbox! Xfce looks quite nice, uses gtk and is still fast on older hardware. Fluxbox is a little more 'barebones' but should be even faster. After all, the best way to find out is to try 'em!
-
Also note that the performance of your hdds may have a large impact on the "feel" of your system! When running from CD use the "knoppix dma" cheatcode to set dma transfer mode on all disks (this will make them a lot faster!). On a installed system.. I dunno.. see "man hdparm" for this but be careful!
-
Just play with the options and see which one you like best. My favorite is IceWM for its small memory profile, easy configurability, and efforts to allow you to operate without using the mouse -- but each of the Knoppix-featured window managers has advantages and you may discover that you prefer another.
The most important window manager missing from the Knoppix CD is Gnome. (Rationale: It's big, like KDE, and both don't fit on a single Knoppix CD; Klaus prefers KDE.) Among the existing options, it is comparatively closest to KDE -- lots of features, big hard drive and memory footprint. Open Source purists tend to like Gnome over KDE for licensing reasons -- you can get acquainted with the debate by searching Slashdot or the Web in general. The big decision is whether you want an "everything-and-the-kitchen-sink" manager like KDE and Gnome or a leaner manager with alternative features like mouse independence (icewm) or tiny memory footprint (several contend for this).
Play around and make your own decision -- the playing is part of the fun!
Similar Threads
-
By RattyMan in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-23-2004, 07:32 PM
-
By veuf in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-12-2004, 02:12 PM
-
By John in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-12-2004, 02:25 AM
-
By neotheonlyone in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-07-2003, 03:15 AM
-
Replies: 5
Last Post: 02-10-2003, 06:55 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive
$39.99

Mixed Brand 120/128/240/256GB SSD 2.5" SATA III 6GB/s Internal Solid State Drive
$34.99

Western Digital PC SN740 256GB M.2 2280 NVMe Internal SSD (SDDPNQD-256G)
$32.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Samsung 980 500GB NVMe M.2 2280 SSD MZ-V8V500 - Tested Working.
$50.00

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot
$79.99

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99