Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: knx-hdinstall Failure

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6

    knx-hdinstall Failure

    Hi there,

    I'm getting a strange error when trying to install Knoppix 3.3 on AMD K6 System with 10GB HDD.

    When I run knx-hdinstall I get the welcome screen (...this software is beta ... blablabla) and then in next window I get

    /dev/ Can't make subwindow [....]

    error. Does anybody know how to do about that? It seems as if install can't access my partitions even though they are properly set up, mounted and recognized in /proc/partitions. Before the window comes up I get a strange output on console which says something about /dev/sda and outputs some failures about that device. This device is also shown in /etc/partitions allthough I am not sure which device this should be (I only have on HDD -> hda and 2 cdroms).

    Anybody got an idea?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: knx-hdinstall Failure

    Quote Originally Posted by schoeppchen
    Hi there,

    I'm getting a strange error when trying to install Knoppix 3.3 on AMD K6 System with 10GB HDD.

    When I run knx-hdinstall I get the welcome screen (...this software is beta ... blablabla) and then in next window I get

    /dev/ Can't make subwindow [....]

    error. Does anybody know how to do about that? It seems as if install can't access my partitions even though they are properly set up, mounted and recognized in /proc/partitions.
    You don't want the partitions mounted when you try to install.

    Before the window comes up I get a strange output on console which says something about /dev/sda and outputs some failures about that device. This device is also shown in /etc/partitions allthough I am not sure which device this should be (I only have on HDD -> hda and 2 cdroms).
    /dev/sda is a reference to a SCSI devivce. Likely your cdrom drive as they are accessed throught scsi emulation. Are you trying to install to a cdrom?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6
    Ok, now I've tested it a little bit. I always get the following error after welcome-screen, no matter what I do:

    -x-x-x-
    You have /dev/
    Can't make sub-window at (33,12),
    size (1,54)
    -x-x-x-

    My Partitions are:

    primary 7,8GB ext3
    extended
    logical 0,2GB swap

    I tried the following:

    - call knx-hdinstall with mounted partitions
    - call knx-hdinstall with unmounted partitions

    I even deleted all partitions and tried to run knx-hdinstall, but I always get the same error.

    What's wrong? Perhaps my harddisk is too old for Knoppix, but that would surprise me. Running 'badblocks' gives me no bad sectors....


  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Never seen that error before- try knoppix-installer instead.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6
    knoppix-installer lets me partition the disk - but I can only select "Partition disk" and "Quit" but nothing else. So after partitioning disk I cannot do anything but Quit. Should there be another selection?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    6
    Hi folks,

    I have exactly the same Problem:
    When I try to install Knoppix 3.3 version of 19.11.2003 using knx-hdinstall i get a similar error saying
    "You have /dev/
    Can't make sub-window at ..."
    I' trying this on a Shuttle barebone with an on-board ProSavage DDR graphic chip, a 1300Mhz Duron and a 180GB HD with /dev/hda9 as last Partition of 2.6GB
    It doesn't matter if the partitions are mountet or not, I even tried changing the xmodule; vesa instead of savage.

    It may be an issue with the graphics chip, which is currently not 100% supported.

    The confusing thing is, on all other Machines I ever tried knx-hdinstall it works...


    Ice

    P.S. My first post at this site!

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    knoppix-installer should indeed give you manyu options. Maybe try booting knoppix 2 and then run the installer from there.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6
    I always start up using 'knoppix 2', no need for X on a server

    I think the whole problem has something to do with a failure in recognizing the partitions. I will do some analysis later and maybe I find out why all this happens.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by schoeppchen
    knoppix-installer lets me partition the disk - but I can only select "Partition disk" and "Quit" but nothing else. So after partitioning disk I cannot do anything but Quit. Should there be another selection?
    Have you formated the partitions? If not try that and then run the installer.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6
    Yes, they are formated.

    I found the bug or whatever this is. In the scripts everytime a choice has to be made (e.g. hdddevice, swap device, root partition) a radio-list is generated. The result of the choice (what the users selects) is outputed via pipe to a file in /tmp. This list cannot be generated on my system and so the output of the list is not the result of the user select but the error message "can't make sub-window[...]". This "result" is written into that file and when this file is beeing processed (in the next step the read in the users choice), this error-message is considered to be the input of the user. So e.g. the "selected" hdd is

    /dev/can't make subwindow[...]

    and this device doesn't exist

    The question now is, why this radio-list cannot be generated and the errors is thrown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. hdd failure
    By thelordofthechip in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-25-2005, 02:16 PM
  2. better class of failure
    By mgilley in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-03-2005, 10:08 PM
  3. Compilation failure.
    By Li0nheart in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-19-2003, 12:42 AM
  4. Boot failure
    By Nikk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-24-2003, 06:38 PM
  5. Ramdisk failure
    By Nedly in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-05-2003, 02:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant DL360 Gen 11 - Xeon Gold 5th Gen - 192 GB DDR5 ECC - 2x 240 GB SSD picture

HP ProLiant DL360 Gen 11 - Xeon Gold 5th Gen - 192 GB DDR5 ECC - 2x 240 GB SSD

$17000.00



HP ProLiant DL380 Gen 11 - 2x Xeon Gold 6th Gen - 512 GB DDR5 - 2x 800 GB HDD picture

HP ProLiant DL380 Gen 11 - 2x Xeon Gold 6th Gen - 512 GB DDR5 - 2x 800 GB HDD

$15000.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections

$60.00



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2144G 3.6GHz 16GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W  Unused picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2144G 3.6GHz 16GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W Unused

$189.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99



Windows Server 2025 Standard✔ 24-CORE✔ 10 CALs✔ 50 RDS✔ Remote Desktop EP2-25205 picture

Windows Server 2025 Standard✔ 24-CORE✔ 10 CALs✔ 50 RDS✔ Remote Desktop EP2-25205

$317.56