After more testing I finaly got knx-hdinstall to work. The problem was
....
....
....
that dialog crashes on my system (and outputs the message Can't make subwindow[...]) when getting german special chars (such as 'ä' 'ö' 'ü' or 'ß') within the --backtitle or --text option.
I would consider replacing those chars with the correct substitutes, a simple
sed -e 's/ä/ae/mg' -e 's/ö/oe/mg' -e 's/ü/ue/mg' -e 's/Ä/Ae/mg' -e 's/Ö/Oe/mg' -e 's/Ü/Ue/mg' -e 's/ß/ss/mg' knx-hdinstall
will do the trick for all of you who have the same problem.
Perhaps someone with knoppix-devel-rights should fix this in the next release for people like us![]()
Allthough I do not understand why only I get this error on my machine, something with localization perhaps wrong on my system?

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC
$115.00
Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00
OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00
ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB
$350.00
Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99
All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95
1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server
$109.99
OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 512GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$128.00
SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99
Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay
$500.00