Sounds a lot like the tohd cheat code.Originally Posted by gyro
ok guys , i found this on the web & i thourght it might creat a bit of interest so have a read and se what you think
An old laptop of mine fubared its Linux partition beyond (easy) repair so I decided a clean install was the way to go. When I went to install a recent Debian system I had trouble with PCMCIA under the 2.2 kernel, and XFree gave me a blank screen under 2.4. Knoppix, however, made everything work automagically (with the exception of sound).
I thought for a minute... hmmm... I can compile a custom kernel for the box as I had always done in the past, or I can simply copy the Knoppix CD-ROM with its compressed filesystem onto the hard disk. Since the box has only 1.5 GB of disk available, things have always been a tight squeeze, but with Knoppix I would get a pretty complete install in only 700 megs, albeit with the cost of some speed to decompress applications on startup.
So I gave it a shot, and sure enough, it worked pretty darn well.
The only problem was the lack of persistent configuration. Knoppix supposedly has some tools that will allow you to save configuration info, but I haven't played with them yet. But it is pretty trivial to write a script to tweak things after the fact.
The only "problem" with Knoppix is that the CD-ROM is updated every few weeks and that there is no way to download just the changes -- the complete ISO image must be downloaded for each upgrade.
In any case, getting a compressed Knoppix to run from your HD is as simple as the following:
Copy the contents of the CD-ROM to your hard disk. I created a 750 meg partition for this, but strictly speaking I'm not sure this is necessary. (Knoppix seems to scan for its compressed disk image, so you might be able to stash that anywhere)
Mount the boot.img file via a loop mount point to copy off the kernel and initrd files.
Configure grub or lilo to boot with these. You'll probably want to specify some boot options, at the very least, changing from the default German keyboard and language.
Reboot. Then magic happens.
This is, without a doubt, the quickest and easiest O/S install I have ever performed, and the "magic" part is that it was on an old laptop with such a small hard drive it would be almost impossible to make any other full-featured Linux distro and a full set of useful applications work on it.
this was writen buy this guy[email protected]
it would be interesting to see a knx distro that auto installed like this as you could then have a 1.7gig install on a 750 meg capacity drive
Sounds a lot like the tohd cheat code.Originally Posted by gyro
THANX MAN I WASNT AWARE OF THAT ONE ILL TRY IT AND SEE IF IT GIVES THE SAME RESULT

OEM Genuine 42Wh WDX0R For DELL Inspiron WDXOR Battery 15 5567 5568 13 5368 7368
$22.99
OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5501 5410 5510 E5411 E5511
$28.99
Genuine OEM 63Wh 7FMXV Battery For Dell Latitude 5320 7320 7420 7520 4M1JN TN2GY
$32.99
OEM Genuine 62WH 6MT4T Battery For Dell Latitude E5470 E5570 6MT4T 07V69Y 7V69Y
$36.66
OEM Genuine 86WH 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17
$45.49
OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5411 15 5501 5511 Precision 3541
$35.78
NEW OEM V6W33 Battery For Dell Inspiron 3510 5510 Latitude 3330 3320 Vostro 3515
$22.00
Lot of 5 Dell OEM 65W 7.4mm 19.5V 3.34A AC Adapters Mixed Models B Grade
$39.99
OEM Genuine 95WH PKWVM C903V Battery 7550 For Dell Precision CR72X 17C06 447VR
$37.40
Genuine OEM 6GTPY 97Wh Battery for Dell XPS 15 7590, 9550 Series 5XJ28 GPM03 New
$33.50