You can combine cheat codes like so:
knoppix vga=normal screen=1024x768
What kind of video does your laptop have? It may be possible to pass a code for that hardware as well.
I have an ACER Travelmate 230XC. Knoppix boots, but reports that an invalid video mode number has been passed. Using the vga=normal cheatcode fixes that problem, however when X starts, it is low res 640x480, and the fonts are very large and hard to read (fuzzy).
Using the cheatcode screen=1024x768 didn't seem to do much.
I did manage to run xf86config from run level 2, and restart X in a higher resolution (1024 I think), so I know it can support it. The fonts were still fuzzy though.
How can I get knoppix to start up in a reasonable screen setup/mode? Any suggestions welcome about the fonts too.
You can combine cheat codes like so:
knoppix vga=normal screen=1024x768
What kind of video does your laptop have? It may be possible to pass a code for that hardware as well.
I tried that combo. but no luck.
HOWEVER, I found out by reading lot's of posts in here that some laptops (DELL I think) need to have more memory allocated in BIOS for the video. Changing mine from the default of 1MB to 8MB fixed the problems completely. It even boots in hi-res text mode with a penguin graphic (not visible before). X comes up in 1024, and I am laughing.
Thanks...
Right on. Maybe you could be so kind as to list your laptop and what it needed to work in the list of successful laptops?
I intend to add it, yes. I was just waiting till I resolve the problems with the Realtek network interface, and the i810 sound, then it will be perfect.

Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB 3.5" SAS ST4000NM0025
$22.00
Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408
$354.99
Seagate Exos X16 ST10000NM010G 10TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e/4Kn HDD
$199.00
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$69.00
Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD
$29.99
Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99
HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health
$78.00
HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED
$34.95
New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD
$137.59
Seagate BarraCuda ST1000DM010 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$63.99