I can't boot knoppix 3.3 19/11/2003 EN

the tux icon comes up top left, but then it just sticks for ages and ages, eventually it will start saying

hde : lost interrupt

it takes about a solid minute or more for this to come up , and then it will come up repeatedly at similar intervals, i havn't left it longer than for this to come up 3 or 4 times.

i've tried the dma cheat codes, and nosap, and noacpi and noapic as suggested in various places, but this was related to toshiba laptops.

I've tried failsafe too, but after finding some things it then finally gets stuck with the same hde message.

my machine :

p4 northwood 2.2
asus p4t-e motherboard
512mb pc-800 rdram
gainward gf4-4800se

adaptec Serial ATA RAID 1210SA (I'm thinking this is the problem)
maxtor diamondmax 9 SATA (main drive, NTFS, boots to winXP)
maxtor 80 gig ATA-133 drive (master 2nd channel, no bootable, NTFS)

knoppix 3.2 works ok, i jsut can't access the SATA drive at all obviously.