-
has usb cdrom booting ever been resolved?
Has the problem of booting from a usb cdrom drive ever been resolved? I'm referring to the problem that the machine will start booting from the CD but then report that it can't find it and will drop you into the "very limited shell".
The tricky bit here is that I'm trying to bring up a bunch of blade computers. Everything on these (floppy, cdrom, keyboard, mouse) is connected via USB and USB only (there is one set that is shared/switched among the 14 blades in one chassis).
Thanks,
-Gordon
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: has usb cdrom booting ever been resolved?

Originally Posted by
GStoll
Has the problem of booting from a usb cdrom drive ever been resolved? I'm referring to the problem that the machine will start booting from the CD but then report that it can't find it and will drop you into the "very limited shell".
The tricky bit here is that I'm trying to bring up a bunch of blade computers. Everything on these (floppy, cdrom, keyboard, mouse) is connected via USB and USB only (there is one set that is shared/switched among the 14 blades in one chassis).
Thanks,
-Gordon
I've been having no problems booting from a USB cd-rom.
-
Hi,
I had the same issue. I tried different cd's, tried 3.6, still same problem. My last resort was the update the system BIOS on the blade (which BTW I didn't think would make a difference but it needed to be done anyway so I had nothing to lose) and low and behold it worked!
It accessed the usb cdrom via /dev/hda1
My hardware platform is:
IBM BladeCenter (8766)
Initially the blades shipped with 1.04 of the BIOS and I updated this one to 1.06. It didn't work with 1.04 but did work with 1.06.
So if you haven't updated your BIOS yet, try that out!
Similar Threads
-
By plener in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-22-2006, 11:07 AM
-
By stormspotter in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-07-2005, 02:58 PM
-
By Mr_White in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-25-2005, 05:55 PM
-
By stillspiraling in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-29-2004, 10:15 AM
-
By TheIowan in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-08-2003, 07:06 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$49.99

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare
$1800.00

Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k
$300.00

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE
$6299.00

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond
$140.00

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$59.99

Keyboard Cable Cord - Apple Macintosh Mac 128K 512K 512Ke Plus
$12.99

Vintage Apple Macintosh Classic 128K Application On New 400K Double Density Disk
$26.99

Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs
$14.99

Apple Keyboard for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 (010)
$149.00