-
Junior Member
registered user
Can't load Knoppix
I download and burn LiveCD 2003-11-14. When I try to load from this CD, the system hang after message "AGP bridge detected" - I can type any symbols on keyboard (typed symbols appear on screen), without any reaction.
Option "testcd" show OK, when I try "noagp", "noaudio" - all without difference.
Configuration of my old computer:
-mb VIA85 on VIA Apollo Pro
-Celeron Coopermine 800 MHz
-192 Mb memory
-80 Gb Seagate Barracuda (ide0 master)
-40 Gb Fujitsu (ide0 slave)
-DVD-CD/RW Toshiba R1312 (ide1 master)
-ZIP-drive 100 Mb (ide1 slave)
-Riva TNT 16 Mb (ASUS 3400) in AGP slot
-NIC 3Com509 Combo (ISA slot)
-Soundcard AD1618 (ISA slot)
What I must do to load Knoppix?
-
Senior Member
registered user
What happens if you try the "failsafe" boot ?
-
Junior Member
registered user
Sorry, I forget to mark:
1. All partition on my drives (except ZIP and floppy
) in NTFS
2. When I try "nodma" and "failsafe", loading go without visible differences - hang after "AGP bridge detected"
3. When loading begin, there are series of messages "scsi/ide: hdd: unsupported commands in queue (0)" and messages like "lvm: can't read disk" or "can't read partition table"
-
Senior Member
registered user
Maybe silly question but sometimes people get this wrong:
Did you use "knoppix failsafe" at the boot prompt ?
(The correct way is just "failsafe")
-
Junior Member
registered user
Yes, I use exact "failsafe". Screen look different between "knoppix_with_parameters", but loading hang after message like "Skipping AGP detection" (same in "knoppix noagp"). There are more long message about disk error (see my post about NTFS partition), but I can't learn it (it disappear becouse scrolling)
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hmm, /dev/hdd is "ide1 slave", which you say is a zip drive, what happens if you disconnect it ?
-
Junior Member
registered user
It difficult to phisically disconnect
When I try to disable ZIP in BIOS, Knoppix show a big delay (30-40 sec) in beginning of load, then say "hda: not ready for command" and after second delay "hdb: not ready for command". In other - same situation...
If no another advices, I will disconnect ZIP, but I don't think that problem in this
-
Senior Member
registered user
I might not be able to figure this one out. Interesting though that testcd works. One would exepct the DVD-CD/RW to be inaccessible by the kernel too if this was a problem with the IDE-controller chips.
-
Junior Member
registered user
I don't think that problem in hardware as is. All version Windows (and OS/2 one year ago) work without problem. This can be a problem in support my hardware (VIA chipset?) by Knoppix. Can I disable detection some IDE device on boot? I look in cheatcodes, no find...
-
Senior Member
registered user
Yep, I don't think there is anything physically wrong with your hardware but there might be some compatibility issues (many VIA chipsets are "strange" to say the least) You could perhaps disable the first IDE controller (ide0) completely in the BIOS ? I guess you already managed to disable the zip drive so that would leave us with just the DVD drive you are trying to boot from.
Similar Threads
-
By n()()dle in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-23-2004, 01:39 AM
-
By Medicate in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-26-2004, 07:08 AM
-
By bored in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-27-2004, 01:29 AM
-
By thewyzewun in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-20-2003, 10:48 PM
-
By caven_a in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-02-2003, 08:18 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE
$214.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive
$39.99

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps
$37.99

Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280 SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC
$34.99

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.80

Samsung 860 PRO 2TB 2.5" SATA III V- NAND SSD MZ-76P2T0 86%-90% Health
$187.00

(LOT OF 2) Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD Solid State Drives (CT1000MX500SSD1)
$200.00