What happens if you try the "failsafe" boot ?
I download and burn LiveCD 2003-11-14. When I try to load from this CD, the system hang after message "AGP bridge detected" - I can type any symbols on keyboard (typed symbols appear on screen), without any reaction.
Option "testcd" show OK, when I try "noagp", "noaudio" - all without difference.
Configuration of my old computer:
-mb VIA85 on VIA Apollo Pro
-Celeron Coopermine 800 MHz
-192 Mb memory
-80 Gb Seagate Barracuda (ide0 master)
-40 Gb Fujitsu (ide0 slave)
-DVD-CD/RW Toshiba R1312 (ide1 master)
-ZIP-drive 100 Mb (ide1 slave)
-Riva TNT 16 Mb (ASUS 3400) in AGP slot
-NIC 3Com509 Combo (ISA slot)
-Soundcard AD1618 (ISA slot)
What I must do to load Knoppix?
What happens if you try the "failsafe" boot ?
Sorry, I forget to mark:
1. All partition on my drives (except ZIP and floppy) in NTFS
2. When I try "nodma" and "failsafe", loading go without visible differences - hang after "AGP bridge detected"
3. When loading begin, there are series of messages "scsi/ide: hdd: unsupported commands in queue (0)" and messages like "lvm: can't read disk" or "can't read partition table"
Maybe silly question but sometimes people get this wrong:
Did you use "knoppix failsafe" at the boot prompt ?
(The correct way is just "failsafe")
Yes, I use exact "failsafe". Screen look different between "knoppix_with_parameters", but loading hang after message like "Skipping AGP detection" (same in "knoppix noagp"). There are more long message about disk error (see my post about NTFS partition), but I can't learn it (it disappear becouse scrolling)
Hmm, /dev/hdd is "ide1 slave", which you say is a zip drive, what happens if you disconnect it ?
It difficult to phisically disconnectWhen I try to disable ZIP in BIOS, Knoppix show a big delay (30-40 sec) in beginning of load, then say "hda: not ready for command" and after second delay "hdb: not ready for command". In other - same situation...
If no another advices, I will disconnect ZIP, but I don't think that problem in this![]()
I might not be able to figure this one out. Interesting though that testcd works. One would exepct the DVD-CD/RW to be inaccessible by the kernel too if this was a problem with the IDE-controller chips.
I don't think that problem in hardware as is. All version Windows (and OS/2 one year ago) work without problem. This can be a problem in support my hardware (VIA chipset?) by Knoppix. Can I disable detection some IDE device on boot? I look in cheatcodes, no find...
Yep, I don't think there is anything physically wrong with your hardware but there might be some compatibility issues (many VIA chipsets are "strange" to say the least) You could perhaps disable the first IDE controller (ide0) completely in the BIOS ? I guess you already managed to disable the zip drive so that would leave us with just the DVD drive you are trying to boot from.

160 GB MICRON (5X32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2933Y DDR4 SERVER MEMORY MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G9E2
$1150.00
Dell 32GB 2Rx8 DDR5 ECC UDIMM 5600 MT/s
$1199.99
RAMAXEL 16GB DDR4 2RX8 LAPTOP MEMORY - BLUE
$121.66
MICRON PC4-2666 4GB DDR4 SODIMM MEMORY - GREEN
$38.15
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
SK Hynix 160GB (10x16GB) HMA82GR7AFR8N-UH TD AC 2Rx8 PC4-2400T Server RAM
$750.00
Hynix 16GB PC4-2933Y 288pin DDR4 SDRAM ECC Reg Server Memory HMA82GR7JJR8N-WM
$79.95
Samsung 32GBX2 1Rx4 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory M393A4G40AB3-CWEBQ 64GB EC
$370.00