Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Can't load Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    15

    Can't load Knoppix

    I download and burn LiveCD 2003-11-14. When I try to load from this CD, the system hang after message "AGP bridge detected" - I can type any symbols on keyboard (typed symbols appear on screen), without any reaction.
    Option "testcd" show OK, when I try "noagp", "noaudio" - all without difference.
    Configuration of my old computer:
    -mb VIA85 on VIA Apollo Pro
    -Celeron Coopermine 800 MHz
    -192 Mb memory
    -80 Gb Seagate Barracuda (ide0 master)
    -40 Gb Fujitsu (ide0 slave)
    -DVD-CD/RW Toshiba R1312 (ide1 master)
    -ZIP-drive 100 Mb (ide1 slave)
    -Riva TNT 16 Mb (ASUS 3400) in AGP slot
    -NIC 3Com509 Combo (ISA slot)
    -Soundcard AD1618 (ISA slot)

    What I must do to load Knoppix?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    What happens if you try the "failsafe" boot ?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    15
    Sorry, I forget to mark:
    1. All partition on my drives (except ZIP and floppy ) in NTFS
    2. When I try "nodma" and "failsafe", loading go without visible differences - hang after "AGP bridge detected"
    3. When loading begin, there are series of messages "scsi/ide: hdd: unsupported commands in queue (0)" and messages like "lvm: can't read disk" or "can't read partition table"

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    Maybe silly question but sometimes people get this wrong:
    Did you use "knoppix failsafe" at the boot prompt ?
    (The correct way is just "failsafe")

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    15
    Yes, I use exact "failsafe". Screen look different between "knoppix_with_parameters", but loading hang after message like "Skipping AGP detection" (same in "knoppix noagp"). There are more long message about disk error (see my post about NTFS partition), but I can't learn it (it disappear becouse scrolling)

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    Hmm, /dev/hdd is "ide1 slave", which you say is a zip drive, what happens if you disconnect it ?

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    15
    It difficult to phisically disconnect When I try to disable ZIP in BIOS, Knoppix show a big delay (30-40 sec) in beginning of load, then say "hda: not ready for command" and after second delay "hdb: not ready for command". In other - same situation...

    If no another advices, I will disconnect ZIP, but I don't think that problem in this

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    I might not be able to figure this one out. Interesting though that testcd works. One would exepct the DVD-CD/RW to be inaccessible by the kernel too if this was a problem with the IDE-controller chips.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    15
    I don't think that problem in hardware as is. All version Windows (and OS/2 one year ago) work without problem. This can be a problem in support my hardware (VIA chipset?) by Knoppix. Can I disable detection some IDE device on boot? I look in cheatcodes, no find...

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    Yep, I don't think there is anything physically wrong with your hardware but there might be some compatibility issues (many VIA chipsets are "strange" to say the least) You could perhaps disable the first IDE controller (ide0) completely in the BIOS ? I guess you already managed to disable the zip drive so that would leave us with just the DVD drive you are trying to boot from.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix will load, but after system starts, GUI wont load.
    By n()()dle in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 01:39 AM
  2. Good Grief!! Can't Load, Won't Load
    By Medicate in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 07:08 AM
  3. Knoppix won't load
    By bored in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-27-2004, 01:29 AM
  4. Knoppix doesn't load
    By thewyzewun in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 10:48 PM
  5. won't load knoppix
    By caven_a in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-02-2003, 08:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on picture

Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on

$255.00



Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly picture

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly

$18.95



Atari 800XL Home Computer 64K RAM in Original Box 1984 Olympic Edition Untested picture

Atari 800XL Home Computer 64K RAM in Original Box 1984 Olympic Edition Untested

$149.99



Atari 1200XL Computer Game Console Vintage Rare FOR PARTS OR REPAIR READ picture

Atari 1200XL Computer Game Console Vintage Rare FOR PARTS OR REPAIR READ

$270.00



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



atari 400 Upgraded 48k board & mpp-1100 working & Power Supply picture

atari 400 Upgraded 48k board & mpp-1100 working & Power Supply

$109.65



Broken Indus GT Floppy Disk Drive for Atari picture

Broken Indus GT Floppy Disk Drive for Atari

$129.99



Atari 800XL 8-bit Home Computer Video Game System - **UNTESTED PARTS OR REPAIR** picture

Atari 800XL 8-bit Home Computer Video Game System - **UNTESTED PARTS OR REPAIR**

$89.99



Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U picture

Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U

$159.99



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29