Perhaps you could make it a little easier by telling us what hardware you have ?
Also, you say it runs Suse already so you can check the md5 sum of the ISO file, have you done that ?
I put the knoppix CD in, and reboot my computer. The boot prompt comes up. It seems everything I choose except "failsafe" causes my screen to go black after a quick kernel load and my computer is hung. Even "testcd" causes this black screen and computer hang.
When I choose "failsafe" the load messages scroll down my screen then the process again hangs my computer. The last two lines are
"enabled ExtINT on CPU#0"
"ESR value before enabling vector: 00000002"
My computer runs winME, winXP, and Suse Linux 6.4 without any problems.
I burned a new knoppix CD at 2x recording speed to ensure no burning errors. Still the exact same result.
I am running the KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso image.
The documentation did not help much. I also tried booting with as many of the "no" options such as "nousb" as was possible. This also did not work.
Any help would be appreciated. I would be glad to try and debugging or verbose error reporting techniques if there are any available.
Perhaps you could make it a little easier by telling us what hardware you have ?
Also, you say it runs Suse already so you can check the md5 sum of the ISO file, have you done that ?
Yes, the md5 sum matches the .md5 data file on the download site. It is "8f841bae907f828ed7a36a0213746ab1 *KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso".
Here is a hardware list:
AMD Athlontm XP 1500
USB Human Interface Device (usb keyboard)
Microsoft USB Wheel Mouse Optical
D-Link DWL-520 Wireless PCI Adapter
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440
VIA AC97 Enhanced Audio Controller
_NEC NR-7900A (ide cd r/w)
Maxtor 6Y080L0 (80gb IDE hd)
AMI bios Release date: 20010402.
1024 meg ram
Hopefully that is everything, is there anything else you want to know?
Well, since you have Suse running I guess the output of "lspci -v" might be useful.Originally Posted by grob
What burner software did you use ?
I'm not sure I can solve this one myself but there are many eyes looking at this list (some of them belonging to smarter people than me) so someone might recognize the hardware giving you problems.
![]()
Hmm, a little googling suggests that APIC might be causing this.
Have you tried the "noapic" cheat code ?
You may also need to disable APIC in the BIOS if that is possible.
That was it.
My box actually was running with APIC set to off. When I set it to on, emulation to v1.4 it ran fine. Even the normal no flags knoppix boot.
Thank you for the help!

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99
Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00
Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99
KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85
VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57
$8.00
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42
$7.00
Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.72