-
I also need help networking knoppix
I have a windows xp computer and two windows ME computers I am trying to get on the network. I could not figure out why I could not get windows xp/server/me to work on the network, as in be a network server. I have given up on windows and would like to try a knoppix server, because of knoppix's increased security and stability. I would also like to add a printer to the server. Im not sure how to start and I just started today messing with knoppix. I have two old nic cards in my computer:
3com Etherlink XL 10/100 pci card and a
3com 3c905Tx pci card.
I dont think there is anything wrong with the cards, and I was hopeing knoppix would automatically share the internet connection. If anyone can help me out please email me or post here. Thank you.
Jeff
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: I also need help networking knoppix

Originally Posted by
Jeffr680J
I have a windows xp computer and two windows ME computers I am trying to get on the network. I could not figure out why I could not get windows xp/server/me to work on the network, as in be a network server. I have given up on windows and would like to try a knoppix server, because of knoppix's increased security and stability. I would also like to add a printer to the server. Im not sure how to start and I just started today messing with knoppix. I have two old nic cards in my computer:
3com Etherlink XL 10/100 pci card and a
3com 3c905Tx pci card.
I dont think there is anything wrong with the cards, and I was hopeing knoppix would automatically share the internet connection. If anyone can help me out please email me or post here. Thank you.
Jeff
Well we would need a little more information to help. Like what type of connection to the internet what equipment are you using to connect the machines, are you going to install Knoppix to the hard drive or run from CD things like that. A few links to IP Tables scripts and programs and a tutorial this is what you will need to use to accomplish your objective.
http://rocky.molphys.leidenuniv.nl/
http://firestarter.sourceforge.net/
http://www.bastille-linux.org/
http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.n...-tutorial.html
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: I also need help networking knoppix

Originally Posted by
Jeffr680J
....I dont think there is anything wrong with the cards, and I was hopeing knoppix would automatically share the internet connection.....
Jeff
To the best of my knowledge, knoppix will NOT automatically share the connection. You certainly can share a connection in Linux (after all, most of the current routers are Linux based), but before spending too much effort doing it the hard way (particularly if you are not certain both NICs are working) you might want to read this thread:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7020
-
Junior Member
registered user
I think running Terminalserver should be all you need for this purpose:
K=> KNOPPIX => Services => Start Knoppix Terminal Server.
Similar Threads
-
By Jwizzman in forum Networking
Replies: 8
Last Post: 09-12-2004, 09:52 PM
-
By tortele in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-08-2004, 08:53 AM
-
By Yeti in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-09-2003, 06:56 AM
-
By captaincourage in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-29-2003, 06:01 AM
-
By tealeaf in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-04-2003, 09:56 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB
$27.07

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00

Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)
$18.99

Cisco CP-8851-3PW-NA-K9 IP Phone MPP Multiplatform VoIP 4 New Open Box
$74.99

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H
$18.95

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included
$27.99

YEALINK T34W PHONE & 2 MONTHS OF PHONE SERVICE
$65.00